Students look forward to fall break

After eight weeks of schoolwork and “Boulevarding,” students are ready for some time away from campus.

“It is interesting that although the break is only four days long, many students are going to vacation spots and other cool places that seem far away for such a short break,” sophomore Devin Kerns said.

Austin, Texas seems to be a top-pick among travelling students. The city’s annual Austin City Limits Music Festival, which kicks off today, draws thousands to downtown Austin every year for three days of live music.

Students that are not headed down I-35 are more than likely going to visit friends or family. A number of undergraduates are heading home to rest and catch up on sleep. Junior Alex Bjornes is going to visit his family in the northern U.S.

“It’s a nice mind break and refreshing to be in my old room and neighborhood and to see some of my high school friends,” Bjornes said.

Others are taking trips with friends to popular travel destinations. Napa Valley, Walt Disney World and Las Vegas all made the destination list for SMU fall break spots. Senior Kenzie Schott is traveling to Napa with some of her closest friends.

“My friends and I so excited to visit the wine country for our senior fall break at SMU,” Schott said.

Some students have decided to stay in Dallas. Austin Manierre, a Chicago native, is staying here for the break hoping to visit one of Texas’ biggest seasonal attraction – the State Fair.
Regardless of what students do, students will enjoy fall break.

“It’s our choice whether to take a trip or stay and study or catch up on work,” Aydam said. “Fall break is great either way.”