Investigation continues in unexplained death

Hunter Green
Courtesy the family of Hunter Green
Hunter Green

Hunter Green (Courtesy the family of Hunter Green)

The SMU Police Department and the Texas Rangers continue to investigate the death of a 21-year-old SMU sophomore who was discovered dead in his dormitory room around noon on Friday, Jan 22.

The Dallas County Medical Examiner was called to investigate the death of Joseph Hunter Green at the SMU House at 3004 SMU Boulevard. A formal declaration of death was issued at 12:36 p.m.

Following an inconclusive autopsy performed Saturday morning, the Dallas County Medical Examiner ordered a toxicology test to determine the manner and cause of death. Test results may take eight to 10 weeks.

A transfer student from the University of Central Florida, Green spent his first semester as an SMU student at the university’s Taos, N.M. campus.

Garrett Ruoff, who attended SMU-in-Taos with Green in the fall, says he was “a great guy.”
“He was lively,” Ruoff said. “Sometimes he would go play golf in the woods.”

His friends, including those who live in the SMU House, are reeling from the tragedy, although they preferred not to go on the record to discuss his death.

SMU officials created confusion among media outlets Monday morning when they listed Green’s death as a ‘homicide’ in the online Daily Police Report Log. Calls for further information were deferred to SMU’s public affairs office.

University spokesman Kent Best said the designation ‘homicide’ is a “technical term.”
“Nothing has changed,” Best said, reiterating that no foul play is suspected.

Officer Linda Perez with the SMU PD provided clarification, saying the homicide designation in Green’s case is consistent with the Uniform Crime Reporting standards set forth by the FBI.

“That applies to any death,” Perez said, adding that any unexplained death is classified as a homicide until a more specific determination is made.

Family and friends held a memorial service in Dallas Sunday afternoon. University officials have refused to comment further on the matter, citing:

“At the request of Hunter’s family, at this time SMU is not releasing further information regarding this matter,” Best said.