Students look forward to “SMU Day” at the library

While inviting the student body to the official George W. Bush Center dedication ceremony is not possible, the center is opening its doors early to SMU students and faculty for a free preview of the library’s exhibits at SMU Day April 29.

SMU students, faculty and staff were given the opportunity to sign up for limited spots to tour the library. Tickets were swept up quickly and only a few spots remained 24 hours later.

“I signed up on Tuesday night and I couldn’t believe that the only time slots left available were 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.,” sophomore Emily Walsh said.

Tours of the center will include several different aspects.

“On [April 29], students, faculty and staff who reserved tickets have the opportunity to see the museum, including a replica of the oval office and situation room, as well as Freedom Hall and the gift shop,” SMU Vice President for Development and External Affairs Brad Cheves said.

The center opens to the public May 1 and visitors are already purchasing tickets for summer.

Students and faculty who were not able to snatch up SMU Day tickets can sign up for free tickets year-round online. Adult tickets usually cost $16.

“I am not really sure what to expect, but I’m excited for something new on campus that will make it more attractive to incoming students and people that don’t know much about SMU,” said senior Rose Hurwitz, who will be attending SMU Day.

Junior Courtney Quinn is also excited for the opportunities the center will bring to campus.

“I can’t wait to see all the exhibits and be one of the first tours to go through. The Bush Center will bring great publicity to SMU and even more amazing connections and resources,” Quinn said.

Some students who missed the opportunity to be one of the first to step into the Bush center are only more excited for the chance to visit before the semester ends.

“I would have loved to be able to tour it and I wish there had been more tickets available but I know I’ll have an opportunity after this crazy week,” junior Jenna Peck said.