Campus organizations seeking to raise political awareness on campus

The SMU campus is buzzing with political activity this semester. However, according to Rock the Vote, only 49 percent of registered voters between the ages of 18-29 voted in the 2004 Presidential Election. That’s why the SMU Debate Team, Democracy Matters, Students for a Better Society, the Association of Black Students and the Political Science Symposium are combining forces to raise political awareness on campus.

These five groups joined together Thursday, Oct. 8 to host a debate-watching event at SMU in an effort to encourage participation in the political process among college students.

“It is important to educate college students about important issues and promote a healthy dialogue between them in order to make informed decisions,” said Cody Meador, Democracy Matters president.

This fact is proving to be especially important in the 2008 election as America is facing the most challenging economic crisis in history.

“Instead of arguing about retirement or foreign policies that seem far away from my concerns, this election is finally deciding issues that will truly affect 20 year olds,” said Juliana Jones, junior CCPA and business double major.

For this reason, both Students for a Better Society and the Association of Black Students are currently planning to host more events on campus encouraging political discussion through election day. ABS will co-host “The Great Debate” on Monday, Oct. 27 at 11:30 a.m. in the Commons of the Student Center.

“We understand that this is a critical time in America and that in order to preserve the values, traditions and opportunities for the next generation, we must first fulfill our civic duty by educating one another to make an informed decision on Election Day,” said Warren C. Seay, Jr., ABS political action chair.

In addition, SBS is hosting the Party at the Poll on Election Day where they will be busing students from the flag pole to polling sites from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“By hosting this event, SBS hopes to provide a convenient way for students to get to the polls to voice their votes,” said Chelsia Phang, SBS president.