SMU floats to top of standings

SMU floats to top of standings
SMU floats to top of standings

SMU floats to top of standings

For the ninth time in 12 years, SMU’s women’s swimming and diving team proved that sound isn’t the only thing that travels faster in water. The Mustangs placed fourth in the nation at the NCAA Championships Saturday in Auburn, Ala.

SMU got All-American performances from seven swimmers to move into the top four.

Perhaps the most important performance of the event was sophomore Flavia Rigamonti winning the 1,650-meter freestyle. Rigamonti became a repeat champion at the event and earned her second NCAA title of the season.

“I feel good right now, it is a very tough race that you must get prepared for mentally,” Rigamonti said. “I was nervous all day, and I am glad that I got it done.”

Rigamonti finished the endurance test in 1:54:47, nearly 10 seconds better than the second place finisher and a Martin Aquatics Center record.

“It was my second best time,” Rigamonti said. “This is an amazing feeling. When you touch that wall and look up at the your time, it is a great feeling. I am happy to be a champion.”

Junior Alenka Kejzar finished sixth in the 200-meter backstroke. She held SMU’s highest point total with 43.5.

Junior Corrie Clark came in fifth place in the 200-meter breaststroke. She totaled 34 points for the event.

Junior Georgina Lee, 2003 WAC Swimmer of the Year, earned a bronze metal in the 200-meter fly and swam the third leg of SMU’s 4 x 100 freestyle relay. Lee earned All-American honors for the 17th time.

Also on the relay team were seniors and twin sisters Lotta and Lisa Wanberg and first-year Laura Pomeroy.