Law school presides over Powder Puff

+Law+school+presides+over+Powder+Puff
Law school presides over Powder Puff

Law school presides over Powder Puff

The greek community found itself in a lot of legal trouble on Saturday. The Law School Powder Puff football squad played judge and jury and when the verdict was read, the law students sentenced Kappa Kappa Gamma to a second place finish.

The Law School, coached by one of the fathers of the tournament, Andrew Novak, scored the game-winning touchdown with only a few seconds left to play.

Kappa’s actives team rolled into the championship game riding the arm of first-year Amanda LaDue. The Kappas beat both Pi Beta Phi and Chi Omega by scores of 6-0 en route to a showdown with the law squad.

“We’d been watching [LaDue] all day and we knew that they were one of the only teams that could match up with us,” Novak said.

Against the law team, LaDue was shadowed by team captain Tiffany Jansen for most of the game. That forced the sorority to search for other ways to beat the graduate students.

With the game tied and the ball near the end zone, the law school scored by dumping the ball off to the center, who ran it in for the go-ahead touchdown.

“I never thought that we would win the tournament,” Novak said. “because it’s a very tall task. We took the best that the sorority system could throw at us.”

The tournament was highlighted by the sideline antics of junior Rowdy Gaines. Gaines was the very animated coach of Gamma Phi Beta Actives.

The ladies of Kappa Alpha Theta drew quite a bit of attention when one of their players fell to the ground and started to yell and cry. While spectators and opposing team members turned their attention, the center snapped the ball. The trick play reflected what was an entertaining day.

McKensie Lange of Kappa Kappa Gamma made a one-handed touchdown grab that was the most spectacular play of the event.

The tournament raised more than $4,000 for the Ryan Gibson Leukemia Foundation.

Novak looks forward to the chance to defend the law school’s title. His team will return everyone from its championship year.