SMU’s Hegi Career Center helps ease job search, interviews

With 10 expert career professionals, the Hegi Family Career Development Center assists students with resume building, job and internship strategies and networking.

Throughout the school year, students can attend career fairs hosted by the Career Center and access its online job database, MustangTrak. According to the Career Center staff, 70 percent of the featured jobs on the database are open to all majors.

The Career Center also offers the “Hit the Pavement” program, which allows students to visit with employers from different companies and organizations.

“These experiences allow students to network with future employers as well as understand a company’s culture,” the Hegi Family Career Development Center staff said in an email interview.

Counselors and staff encourage students to select their majors early so they can begin their career planning process. It is recommended freshmen make an appointment with a career counselor during their first semester.

“First-year students are encouraged to meet with a career counselor to discuss major exploration and how it relates to the career decision-making process,” the staff and counselors said.

With one-on-one counseling, workshops and MustangTrak, the career center provides students with mock-interviews and the tools necessary to obtain jobs and internships in a competitive job market.

“In this time of economic uncertainty, students and alumni are finding they need a strong network, fluid strategies and career resources that keep them competitive for a lifetime,” the staff and counselors said in an email.

The Career Center is located in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center and offers services to both undergraduate and graduate students. Counselors at the center hope students visit often, making it “a lifelong habit.”

In 2001 SMU alumni Fred and Jan Hegi made a commitment of $1 million to SMU. Their sons, Peter and Brian, then endowed $3 million for expansion of facilities and services at the Career Center, which has been in existence  since 1911.

For more information about services offered, visit www.smu.edu/career.