NCAA alters rules for 2007 season

NCAA alters rules for 2007 season
Justin Schreiber

(Justin Schreiber)

The NCAA tried something new last season in college football, and found out that it didn’t go over too well around the nation.

In an attempt to keep the games shorter the NCAA changed clock rules. The new rules started the clock when the ball was kicked off, rather than starting it when the ball was touched by the receiver. Also the game clock was started when the ball was placed on the field prior to the snap, rather than starting it when the ball was snapped on a possession change.

That didn’t work out too well and those rules will be reversed in 2007.

One rule that will be added is that the kickoffs will be moved from the 35-yard line back to the 30-yard line. This was done so that more kickoffs would be returned and allow more time to elapse from the clock.

The rule changes were made in order to keep the time to a minimum, a desired three hours, but not take away from the number of plays during a game.

“They’re just finding other ways to get the game a little bit shorter,” SMU head coach Phil Bennett said.

Along with rules reformed and changed to effect the time it takes to complete a game, there was another rule instated that will effect recruiting.

Just as text messaging has become a staple in today’s society, it has also moved over into collegiate football. Coaches have implemnted the technology into their communication with players. However, Players complained that not only were text messages expensive and costly, but intrusive.

But coaches have a different view.

According to some, they believe that it is easier to communicate through a quick text message than a long, drawn out phone call. The leading possibility is that the NCAA will change the rule from a complete ban, to a rule that limits the time that the messages can be sent and the number of mass messages that can be sent out.

It is possible that this rule will be altered soon. Or it could suffer the same fate as the clock rules from last season, given a try to see whether or not it works for the 2008 season.

But as far as SMU head coach Phil Bennett is concerned with the text-messaging rule, he takes a more personal approach.

“When I recruit it’s a lot more personal when you talk to a kid,” Bennett said. “[Texting] is a very impersonal way to talk to a kid, we have to be on more of a personal level with the kids.”

The NCAA won’t look too different to the naked eye, but there will be some different angles to watch for next season.