Zach Braff discusses ‘The Ex’ and ‘Scrubs’

Why might you need to see Zach Braff’s new comedy, “The Ex”?

“It’s funny,” said Braff, who makes his comedy film debut with “The Ex.”

“It’s that broad kind of comedy. If you like ‘Scrubs,’ you’ll like this movie.”

A notable departure from the rest of Braff’s films, such as “Garden State” and “The Last Kiss,” “The Ex” tells the story of Tom Reilly (Braff) and his wife Sofia (Amanda Peet), who decides to be a stay-at-home mother, thus requiring Tom to step up as the breadwinner.

Tom moves the family to Ohio to work for his father-in-law (Charles Grodin) as an “assistant associate creative” for Sunburst Communications. His wheelchair-bound boss Chip (Jason Bateman) happened to date Sofia in high school and still cares for her.

Every time Tom does something commendable at the office, Chip manages to steal his thunder. Chip essentially tries to ruin Tom’s life as Tom struggles to keep his career and family life afloat.

When discussing the possible ramifications of having a physically disabled villain, Braff noted that the film “is never about looking down on him for his handicap. He’s trying to ruin my life, but no one will fight with me because everyone feels sorry for him.”

“That’s something my character struggled with,” Braff said. “Tom feels sorry for this guy because of the adversity in his life, but at the same time, the guy is an a——. You can’t tell me that there aren’t handicapped people out there who are jerks.”

In regard to his co-star Jason Bateman, Braff said that Bateman is “effortlessly funny.”

“He’s very, very funny,” Braff said. “And I’m so happy for him now that he’s having this resurgence as people are beginning to realize how talented he is.”

Braff said that the on-set relationship between him and Bateman was one-sided, but in a comedic and fun way.

“Mostly, it was him making fun of me and laughing at my expense,” said Braff. “But he’s so funny that I would just laugh along. He’s one of those people that can be making fun of you, but you’re cracking up because he’s so funny. I would just become a giggling little schoolgirl. I didn’t even try to come back because he was too hilarious.”

As far as his other costars, Braff had only kind things to say.

“Amanda Peet? She’s a sweetheart,” said Braff. “She’s so nice. And she’s beautiful! Sometimes you’re act with someone and you have to pretend to be in love with someone, and it can be hard if the person isn’t necessarily your type at all or they’re not easy to be with. But she’s so sweet. She was easy to be with.”

Braff also commented on SNL cast members Amy Poehler and Fred Armisen, who also star in “The Ex.”

“Amy is a very, very, very funny woman,” said Braff. “And Fred? I love Fred. I’ve become good friends with Fred. I love him as a comedian and as a person. He’s one of the most humble and nice persons you’ll ever meet. But at the same time, he’ll crack you up.”

While Braff’s film career has leaned toward the serious side, many know him as the goofy, quirky Dr. John “JD” Dorian on NBC’s “Scrubs.” Braff emphasized that there isn’t one particular genre he prefers.

“It’s like anybody at any job,” said Braff. “If you’re a stone mason, you don’t always want to work with brick. No matter what your job, you want to shake it up. I do like broad comedy and physical comedy, like you see on ‘Scrubs.’ I made this movie for the ‘Scrubs’ audience.”

“I like doing both genres. It depends on what mood I’m in. Honestly, sometimes you’re in a wacky mood, sometimes you’re in a serious, more brooding mood. I mean, I’ve been doing ‘Scrubs’ for six years and there would be weeks where I would be in a horrible mood and that would make it hard. It can be challenging to be silly when you’re not feeling it.”

Braff also stated that his “Scrubs” co-stars were very supportive of his venture into cinematic comedy.

“‘Scrubs’ is incredibly supportive,” Braff said. “We all go to each other’s premieres and everything. ‘Scrubs’ is great just because we work for seven months straight and then we get five months to do whatever we want, whether that be making a movie like this or going on vacation.”

Braff also addressed “Scrubs'” possible move to ABC.

“NBC has never really promoted the show. They don’t own it. If ABC put it on the air and promoted it, especially because it would probably be the last season and because we’d be switching to ABC, and that doesn’t happen very often, I think it would work. If we got a good time slot and ABC ran ads for it, I think the audience could really grow, especially now since ‘Scrubs’ has done really well in syndication.”

“I really feel like it just needs that extra push and it could graduate to the next level,” said Braff. “I don’t think NBC would really do that because they don’t own the show. So I think if ‘Scrubs’ were moved, it would do really well.”

“Scrubs” airs every Thursday at 8:30 p.m. on NBC. Braff’s new movie “The Ex” will premiere in theaters on May 11.