Westcott sees final action of semester

SMUs Robin Johnson-Hood tries to beat one of Tyler Junior Colleges players to the goal.
Daneya Ammon
SMU’s Robin Johnson-Hood tries to beat one of Tyler Junior College’s players to the goal.

SMU’s Robin Johnson-Hood tries to beat one of Tyler Junior College’s players to the goal. (Daneya Ammon)

The exhibition season will end for the Mustangs this weekend.

The men’s soccer team will play the final game of their spring schedule tonight at Westcott Field. The Mustangs will kick off against Midwestern State at 7 p.m.

The Mustangs are experiencing life without some crucial seniors who will not be on the team next season. Most notably Jay Needham.

Needham was a two-year captain who scored three goals playing in all 23 games. In the MLS draft Needham was chosen in the third round as the 32nd overall pick by the DC United.

The Mustangs are also playing without Matt Wideman who was in goal for all 23 games and allowed only 14 goals in those games. Other graduating seniors include captain Mynor Gonzalez, Jordan Mann, Dario Santus and captain Chase Wileman.

In SMU’s win over Richland College last week the Mustangs netted goals from Richard Oliva, Scott Corbin and Manuel Mariel. All three goals were scored within the first 10 minutes of the match, and the Mustangs fought through a penalty kick and a one-timer to win the game 3-2.

The women’s soccer team will finish their spring games on Saturday afternoon.

The Mustangs will face the Baylor Bears at Westcott Field at 1 p.m.

SMU is coming off a 3-1 loss against Arkansas at the end of March. Kim Peabody scored the lone goal for the Mustangs.

The women lost some key seniors as well. Olivia O’Rear led the team with 13 goals in 21 games and added five assists. The other graduating seniors are Susanne Collins, Morgan Field and Ashley Watson.

The two games will cap off a weekend with the SMU Soccer Coaches Clinic.

Joining head coaches Schellas Hyndman and Brent Erwin are Bill Beswick, the sports psychologist for the England National Team, and Steve Sampson, the former head coach of the U.S. National Team and the Los Angeles Galaxy.