SMU Students make pilgrimage to ACL

Austin City Limits will be held  in Zilker Park. Some headliners include Red Hot Chili Peppers  and Neil Young.
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Austin City Limits will be held in Zilker Park. Some headliners include Red Hot Chili Peppers and Neil Young.

Austin City Limits will be held in Zilker Park. Some headliners include Red Hot Chili Peppers and Neil Young. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Today, countless SMU students are hitting the road and heading south to Austin. Awaiting them at the end of the journey is Austin City Limits (ACL), an annual three-day music festival that holds legendary status with many.

“Growing up in Dallas, I’ve heard about ACL since I was a small child. I’ve always wanted to go,” SMU senior Annamarie Fernandez said.

Austin City Limits, now in its 11th year of existence, takes place sometime in September or October each year. This year, the event will bring lights, stages, tents, vendors and tens of thousands of fans to Zilker Park from Oct. 12 to Oct. 14.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Young and Crazy Horse and The Black Keys headline this year’s lineup, but with more than 100 artists slated to play, they’re far from the only groups drawing fans to the event.

“If you go to a festival you’re there to see everyone, which is great in the sense that you get introduced to a lot of new bands and new music that you might not have experienced otherwise,” SMU sophomore Catherine Huff said.

Tickets for the 2012 festival went on sale almost immediately the festival last year. Depending on when fans purchase passes, three days of ACL can cost anywhere between $50 and $270.

“Economically, it’s a great deal. You’re spending money you would spend on one ticket and you get to see multiple bands that you like,” Fernandez said.

Having completely sold out of passes for the past nine consecutive years, ACL made an official announcement last week that, for the first time ever, the 2013 festival would be held over two different weekends.

“Every year we hear from longtime fans that they’ve missed out on buying tickets because of the speed at which the festival sells out. The expansion will allow more people the chance to experience ACL,” C3 partner Charlie Jones said in the announcement.

Experience – that’s the key word. Nowadays, Austin City Limits pass holders have access to a lot more than just music. Zoà Mattioli, sophomore, loves that Austin City Limits includes local art and food vendors in the park and that there are aftershows throughout the city every night.

“Everything about it really gives you the chance to experience Austin if you’re not from there,” Mattioli said.

She went to ACL for the first time in 2011.

“That was my first taste of a music festival – I’ve been addicted ever since,” Mattioli said.

So what’s new at the festival this year? Pass holders now have the option to register and personalize their wristbands. Personalization gives the wearer security if their wristband is lost or stolen, and the ability to check in at various boxes throughout the park that will enter them to win various ACL-related prizes. There is also a satellite shop for festival merchandise, located off-site at 210 Guadalupe Street.

The improved mobile app allows festival goers to sync their personal show schedules with their mobile devices, reference an interactive festival map, chat with friends and stay connected with ACL across a variety of social media platforms.

“With festivals like ACL there’s a guarantee that it’s going to be awesome,” Mattioli said.

If you’re not one of the lucky ones headed to Austin this weekend, you can stream the festival live on YouTube.
And hey, there’s always next year.