IFC donates to March of Dimes as part of responsibility campaign

The Hilton Anatole Hotel hosted the March of Dimes’ annual fundraiser, “Breakfast With A Champion” on Dec. 2. Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach, both former quarterbacks for the Dallas Cowboys, spoke at the event that began at 7:30 a.m. and ended at 9 a.m.

“Breakfast With A Champion” has generated more than $2 million in donations in fifteen years. The money raised goes to further their mission statement: “to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality…through research, community services, education and advocacy to save babies’ lives.”

This year, SMU’s Interfraternity Council donated $13,500 as part of their campaign to “Frat Responsibly.” An effort to improve their image, this campaign’s goal is to promote more responsible behavior by reminding students and fraternity men about the original meaning of fraternize.

Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Gamma Delta, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi and Sigma Phi Epsilon all passed measures in October pledging to use funds from their social budgets to contribute to March of Dimes. The IFC Executive Board and each chapter donated $1,687.50 to total the $13,500.

IFC President Haynes Strader said “This kind of contribution and dedication to causes greater than each chapter’s own needs demonstrates the IFC’s continued commitment to ‘Frat Responsibly.'”

As the only collegiate sponsor of the event, the IFC’s donation was large enough to classify the student-run organization as a Gold Sponsor ($10,000 or more).

“The IFC decided to support the March of Dimes based on their excellent reputation for supporting prematurely born children whilst maintaining strong ties to the local communities where their funds are raised,” Strader said. “We felt that this was an organization where our resources could make a significant positive impact on the greater North Texas community.”

About 45 SMU Greeks attended the event, including four members of the IFC executive board. Following an opening by Dallas Mayor, Tom Leppert, Chuck and Kelly Crider spoke about how research funded by March of Dimes saved their prematurely born twins. The Criders’ are this year’s Dallas March of Dimes ambassador family. Shortly after 8 a.m., Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach joined emcee Scott Murray on stage. The three sat in armchairs on stage as Murray alternately pitched questions to Aikman and Staubach.

Each quarterback briefly summarized his background and how he came to achieve success.

“I was doing whatever I felt I needed to do in order to become a better athlete and give myself an opportunity…I didn’t really look at it as so much of a sacrifice as much as it was just me doing what I felt was very, very important,” Aikman said.

He emphasized the importance of concentrating one’s efforts: “you decide what path you want to take, and how good you want to be at something. It’s hard to be good at everything…[I was once told] the more things you do, the less effective you are at each one of the things you are doing.”

Aikman encouraged attendees to take a look at their commitments because “sometimes we try to do so much that we’re not as effective as we can be.”

Known for his honesty and values, Staubach has seen amazing success in the business world. In sports “you learn about how to respect someone other than just yourself…a team player is not someone that falls in step; it’s someone that truly understands that they can’t do it by themselves and they give credit to someone else,” Staubach said. He said that a lot of what he learned in sports has “been transferred to the business world as well.”

After imparting a few words of wisdom, the Cowboys’ retirees discussed the team’s Super Bowl chances. Both Aikman and Staubach are fans of Tony Romo, and feel strongly about the Cowboys’ postseason hopes.

As they were prompted to discuss each other’s legacies, Aikman and Staubach were, of course, very complimentary of one another. “I hope you didn’t jinx me” Staubach said after Aikman’s kind words.

“They were saying the same thing about Tiger a few weeks ago…” Aikman joked back.

“That’s what I was worried about; I might hit the fire hydrant near our house,” Staubach said almost inaudibly over a crowd roaring with laughter.

Strader said, “IFC was privileged to be a part of such a meaningful event for such a remarkable organization.”

“Mr. Staubach and Mr. Aikman are heroes to most Dallas born football fans… their dedication to the March of Dimes… is admirable and truly inspirational,” Strader said.