Women’s soccer fields coach

Womens soccer fields coach
Women’s soccer fields coach

Women’s soccer fields coach

After almost three months of searching, the quest to find a new head coach for the women’s soccer team is over. Thursday, Director of Athletics Jim Copeland introduced John Cossaboon as the new women’s coach. Copeland stated the importance of bringing a well-respected and highly-touted coach to the program.

“Everyone in the SMU community is excited about the possibilities that he will create for the women’s program,” Copeland said.

Cossaboon, formally the head coach at the University of San Diego, will take over the position vacated in late December by former SMU head coach George Van Linder.

Associate Athletic Director Carlton Cooper had a large role in bringing Cossaboon to the Hilltop. As soon as Van Linder bolted from Dallas to take the head coaching job at Baylor, Cooper has been making calls, conducting interviews and reviewing possible coaches.

“It took a lot of hard work to get to this point,” Cooper said. “But he was a unanimous choice. He fits the goals of the athletic department, university and the student athletes.”

Cooper may partially have the men’s soccer coach Schellas Hyndman to thank. Hyndman is a personal friend of Cossaboon and spoke with him on the phone about the possibilities of taking the job. Cossaboon is extremely pleased with the national reputation that Hyndman built for the university athletics and the men’s soccer program in general.

“I have been asked a bunch in the last few days why I would want to leave,” Cossaboon said. “One of the keys that attracted me to SMU from San Diego was definitely Schellas.”

Cossaboon wasted no time getting to work. He ran his first Mustang practice at 7 a.m. Thursday morning. Junior forward Kim Harvey already thinks that the new coach has boosted the level of play at the university.

“Everyone on the team is so excited, we all love his personality,” Harvey said. “The first practice had the highest level of intensity that I have seen since I have been here.”

With all of the positive response, it is no wonder coach Cossaboon is ready to get started.

“In my profession I have never been treated like this in my entire life,” Cossaboon said. “To be a part of this event and opportunity is a great experience.”

Cossaboon looks to build on a coaching career that most recently saw him generate four consecutive NCAA tournament bids for USD while compiling a record of 73-43-6. Because of the late signing, Cossaboon is going to be forced to play the hand he was dealt. He will feed off a strong incoming recruiting class along with solid remaining veterans. Cossaboon looks to use recruiting ties he developed when he was the Director of Coaching for the Texas State Soccer Association from 1982-1990. He does not want to put any expectations on the women’s team other than to improve on last year’s finish.

“My immediate expectations are to go further than we did last year,” Cossaboon said. “Hopefully I can use my coaching ability and knowledge to influence the players on this team.”