Spring break

Leave the American attitude back in your own country

As spring break finally hits campus, many students are heading for the hills – or more precisely, for the airport. Besides going home or hitting the beach, more and more students are going overseas in search of that “growth experience” their hippie moms and dads assure them is waiting in Europe.

But with a war in Iraq sitting like the proverbial dark cloud over Washington, D.C., many travelers have noticed an increase in anti-American sentiments, much of which has manifested itself in vocal insults and physical abuse.

In a recent Gallup poll, 54 percent of Americans said they believed the United States enjoys a favorable image abroad – compared to 79 percent last year.

And Condé Nast Traveler’s February issue reported 64 percent of Americans cite fear of unfriendliness overseas as their top concern when traveling.

OK, before you go running off to the American Airlines desk to cancel your plans, realize that most Europeans disapprove of Bush, not Americans. And there is no reason to let a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

The focus of any trip should be to experience the culture as though you are a part of it – the least fulfilling vacations are the ones spent with 30 other Americans following a tour guide. So when you go overseas this spring break, follow a few simple rules to blend in with the crowd, not stand out in it:

First, avoid any restaurant that immediately makes you think of home. This includes McDonalds, Pizza Hut and the Hard Rock Café (trust us, you can buy the T-shirt online). Try some of the local cuisine – how often do you have the opportunity to eat sardine pate or have a slice of spotted dick?

Second, leave the FDNY baseball cap and your “I’m proud to be an American” T-shirt at home. You might as well paint a bulls-eye on your chest. And don’t wear all-white sneakers – it’s oh-so North America.

Third, use your “six-inch voices,” particularly when talking about politics. Americans are notoriously loud, and a kid wearing a backpack screaming “But y’all, I want to go to the Louvre NOW!” is sure to turn heads.

But most importantly, go out of your way to be friendly to the locals. Assuming a defensive attitude will only make you appear to live up to the stereotypes many Europeans hold of Americans. Instead, be approachable, be polite and be interested in the conversations you are engaged in.

Nothing makes a vacation memorable like a good attitude.