Students build home, aid Habitat for Humanity

SMU students turned out Saturday afternoon for the first day ofconstruction on “Home on the Lawn 2004,” a project forthe Habitat for Humanity organization.

Student organizations gathered at the building site onMockingbird and I-75, the old Mrs. Baird’s factory lot, towork on a house that will be moved from the construction site whenit is finished.

Students did not seem to mind giving up a Saturday afternoon tocontribute to a needy family.

“Even though it is the middle of a Saturday afternoon, Ithink that everyone out here is having a lot of fun,”first-year student Sarah Carpi said.

Carpi was excited about the event, even though she felt a littleuncomfortable around all of the construction.

“This is stuff that I have never done before,” Carpisaid.

“I’m really outside of my comfort zone, butI’ll be helping someone else, and it is exciting to beworking on the 342nd house for this great organization.”

For other students, this was their first year to work on aHabitat House for SMU, but not necessarily their first year to workfor the organization.

“I did Habitat for Humanity in high school, but youwouldn’t be able to tell because I can’t hammer a nailinto the side of a building very well,” first year EmeryDavis said.

Members of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity participated in theevent for the second year in a row.

“We are really out here to support the cause and work offsome stress,” said Kellan Hickman, a sophomore and member ofSigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

Carol Clyde, director of leadership and community involvementfor SMU, was ecstatic about the turnout.

“We have over 30 volunteers here today and we’vegotten a lot of excited feedback,” Clyde said. “And wehave a great partnership with [Highland Park United MethodistChurch] to get all of this work done.”

Although the turnout has been successful, the project can stilluse volunteers.

Volunteer days Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from12:30 to 4:30 p.m.

“We still need a lot of volunteers on Wednesdays andThursdays,” Clyde said. “And what is so great aboutthis project is that it is right here and students are just able towalk over.”

The project building will end Feb. 21 and a dedication will beheld Feb. 22.

Those interested are encouraged to sign up online atwww.smu.edu/oci or stop by the building site.