Adriana Martinez named 2011-12 Student Trustee

Adriana+Martinez
MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus
Adriana Martinez

Adriana Martinez (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)

Junior Adriana Martinez has been selected as the 2011-2012 Student Trustee.

The Student Trustee sits on the SMU Board of Trustees and has full voting privileges within the board. The Student Trustee is also charged with facilitating communication between the board and the SMU community.

“I am thrilled with this opportunity, and I excitedly look forward to every moment that I can serve the student body in this capacity,” Martinez said.

Martinez is the current opinion editor for The Daily Campus. She is also a President’s Scholar and is involved with the Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society, the Honors Program and the Robert Stewart Hyer Honors Society.

Martinez interns at the John Goodwin Tower Center for Political Studies and is a Henry S. Miller Undergraduate Fellow. She is a student representative to the advisory board of the Embrey Human Rights Program, a co-founder of the Student Leadership Initiative and a Student Foundation Ambassador.

She is also a member of Amnesty International, the International Relations Club, Model United Nations and the Hispanic Leadership Council.

“As a full voting member of SMU’s highest decision-making body, this student has the honor of and obligation to directly represent the perspective and interests of the student body,” Martinez said. “In the upcoming academic year, I will strive to better fulfill this end by forging relationships with organizations and departments on campus, so as to have a comprehensive understanding of the students at SMU. This way, I can be certain that what I say to the Board of Trustees and its committees is accurate, insightful and productive.”

The eight student representatives on the Board of Trustee’s standing committees have also been selected.