SMU student play goes off with a ‘boom’

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

SMU student theater production of “Boom!” lived up to its name.

Energetic, entertaining and downright explosive, the play delivered an impacting and impressive experience.

Senior theater major Jason Moody produced the show, which ran last weekend in the Owens Fine Arts Center, because he felt passionate about the script.

“I’m just really connected to this show,” Moody said.

In addition to producing the show, Moody played the lead ,Jules, a marine biologist who,based on his research on fish, believes a large comet is going to hit earth.

Jules’ strange belief acts as the catalyst for an eerie and post- apocalyptic plot that centers on the marine biologist and a journalism major named Jo.

Acting as Jo was junior theater major Elizabeth Peterson whose performance was rich and intriguing.

Peterson and Moody skillfully unraveled a complicated relationship for the audience.

Moody’s performance of a deeply determined but un-aroused homosexual is convincing and enthralling.

As if this montage were not entertaining enough, third year theater graduate student Aleisha Force, as Barbara, added yet another dimension.

Force’s role remains unapparent for a good portion of the play.

It later becomes clear that she is the puppet master to scene itself. The play is an exhibit in a museum she controls.

Force kept the audience on their toes throughout the performance and delivered the final twist of the play: she herself is not human, but a fish. The humans did not survive the apocalypse.

Though performed in the small Doolin Gallery of Meadows, “Boom!” could have easily have been a mainstream community production for the brilliant acting, realistic set design and skillful direction of junior theater major Miranda Parham.

“You can come and see student theater here that will be a student show — sort of minimal and with a focus on the acting,” Moody said. “Every time I do a show, I want to produce something that you could go see in the main theaters of SMU or elsewhere in the community. I want to live up to an expectation almost.”

And live up to an expectation he did.

With this satisfying production, the senior theater major can go out with a “boom.”