Tax day extended due to new holiday

Tax day  extended due to new holiday
HELENA BOLOGNA/The Daily Campus

(HELENA BOLOGNA/The Daily Campus)

It’s April 15, the infamous deadline to file federal income taxes. But, this year everyone has three extra days due to the Emancipation Day holiday.

The Washington, D.C. holiday commemorates the day when Abraham Lincoln signed the Compensated Emancipation Act that freed slaves in the District of Columbia in 1862.

In 2005, D.C. passed legislation to make Emancipation Day an official public holiday.

Similarly, Texas celebrates the emancipation of slavery on Juneteenth, celebrated on June 19.

So if you were wondering why taxes are due April 18 this year, now you know, and can tell your friends.

But more importantly, what should you do with that refund check in the next few weeks?

Most people forget that they’ll be getting a refund check until April, so it is always a nice bonus to see that extra cash inflow from the IRS.

If you don’t really need the extra income, why not put it away for a rainy day or spend the money on a quality, memorable experience?

Book a plane ticket to visit someone in another city. Go to a concert. Treat yourself to a nice dinner with close friends.

The value will not wane like that of a new handbag. The return on this investment will be memories that stick.

If you haven’t filed your taxes, you can find a list of free file companies at IRS.gov.

Be sure to have the funds routed to your bank account. It shouldn’t take longer than two weeks to receive the refund.

For future reference to maximize deductions, don’t forget to keep track of charitable donations to events on campus. SMU students consistently support philanthropic groups throughout the year.

Make a donation to Relay for Life tonight and you can write it off next year. Textbooks are also a good deduction your parents may appreciate.

Moral of the story – save your receipts for these expenditures and you’ll get more back on your taxes.