Touted BLVD apartments fail to impress students

Students at Southern Methodist University practically raced to sign leasing contracts for the new apartments being built on SMU Boulevard earlier this spring. Although The BLVD apartments are not classified as student housing, the reasonable prices and close proximity to the university have definitely made an impact on the people living there.

A large amount of students call the apartments home. Students get the chance to enjoy living amongst people of the same age and enjoy a rambunctious quality of life, which complex management could never have predicted.

“The management is not prepared for the type of activities that go on here. They are not accommodating or flexible to fit the obscene amount of college riff-raff that takes place every night,” resident Tori Titmas said.

When launching the apartments, the goal was to pinpoint a social area of Dallas without compromising luxury. The sundeck, fitness center, high-end appliances and resident lounge appear luxurious, but many residents have had some not-so-luxurious experiences.

A main issue tenants have faced is the unreliable elevators. They have been slower than normal and several residents have been stuck inside non-air-conditioned elevators.

“Not only are the elevators slow as a [convenience issue], but also as a safety issue. Also the elevators do not have A/C,” resident Chris Fisher said.

The BLVD apartments pride themselves for being a green, sustainable community. When building the apartments, the water system, electricity, walls and windows were designed to maximize energy conservation. These features have many advantages, but Fisher believes the lack of insulation in the recycled walls is a reason for the noisy environment.

“[The air conditioning] doesn’t work in half of my apartment and the fix for it makes it super loud. [Maintenance] came back to try and fix the noise. Now it’s rattling,” resident Lucy Sidford said.

Residents believe that enforcing rules and improving customer service from the managerial side would improve the current living conditions. Several features intended to improve resident life, such as the electronic keys and numbered parking spaces, have supposedly backfired.

When asked whether or not there were serious complaints about the apartment complex, BLVD leasing agent, Randy, said he had not received any complaints.

“Our electronic lock malfunctioned and we were locked in our apartment for a few hours until someone was sent to cut the entire lock off the door,” resident Sara Handa said.

Handa’s parking situation is equally frustrating

“I pay $30 each month for a parking spot and there are always people parking in it so I barely get to use it,” she said.

Because of such reoccurring mishaps, residents may reconsider their future plans at the BLVD apartments. Titmas is debating whether or not she will renew her lease at the end of this school year.

“So far I am not pleased,” she said.