SMU, your prince has come

Prince Johannes von Sachsen-Altenburg will be at SMU this November teaching four lectures on the past influences of European aristocracy on America.

In his first lecture, “Printing, Power, Pope and Politics: Martin Luther and the Dukes of Saxony- Who used whom?,” the prince will explore the role of Gutenberg’s printing press, the religious and financial background to Martin Luther’s religious reform movement and the role of Vatican and Henry VIII.

On Nov. 7 and 14, the prince will present “Royal Texas: Tales of the Regal Families Who Once Ruled Texas.”

In this lecture, the prince will offer an anecdotal gallery of the regal families who once ruled Texas. This explores the history behind the naming of several Texas towns after royalty, including the brother of a British queen, a prince of Prussia, and princes of Hanover.

In the Royal Texas lecture, Prince Hans will reveal documents never-before seen in Germany or the United States.

“This lecture will be very important to the people of Fredericksburg and New Braunfels. I’m surprised I haven’t heard from the newspapers in those towns,” he said. “The information will be something of a bombshell. I’m in love with this story, perhaps because it’s new to me too.”

His next lecture, “Sacagawea’s son: the baby on the dollar coin” will be on Nov. 11.

Prince Hans will follow the twists and turns of Sacagawea’s son, Baptiste “Pomp” Charbonneau. As a talented linguist, decorated soldier and participant of the California Gold Rush, Charbonneau is probably the best-chronicled Native American baby of the 19th century and has made a re-emergence on the face on the dollar coin.

The prince’s last lecture will be “West Texas: German buffer state between U.S. and Mexico?” Nov. 13.

While giving similar lectures in the Northeast, the prince has found a “significant fondness for colonial history” among the people who attend his lectures.

“It’s not too much dry history. I try to be more anecdotal – it makes the subject more interesting,” the prince said.

Prince Hans has become increasingly frustrated with the historical inaccuracies he finds in children’s textbooks.

“[For example] it says in my children’s textbooks that the Spanish [in central Mexico] revolted against the king of Spain,” he said. “The Spanish had no problem following the rules of their government. It was not until Napoleon Bonaparte deposed King Charles IV and made his own brother, Joseph, king that the people of central Mexico rebelled. So, in essence, they didn’t even rebel against the real king of Spain, they rebelled against the French-appointed king.”

The prince earned his MBA from the Cox Business School. He worked with Dr. Thomas E. Barry as a teaching assistant.

Dr. Barry, now vice president for executive affairs and a professor of marketing, remembers the prince as a “very hard worker, a very bright guy. He was always upbeat, cracking jokes. It was great working with him, and I’m glad to keep in touch with him.”

Prince Hans has gone on to become a producer and director for the Discovery Channel and the author of 31 books.

“I used to write the books and then turn them into TV shows, but now I think it’s easier to turn the TV shows into the books. By the time I have the script done, almost all the work is done as well.

“Most of my shows have been well-received all over the world, except for America. Americans want racy, fast-paced hyper action shows. I guess I’m just better at the more laid-back, European style.”

Currently the prince has five or six manuscripts that are almost finished, and each is in English. “I used to write only in German, but I have been writing in English more and more.”

The prince finds the atmosphere in Texas refreshing after Germany.

“I spend half my time here in America because of the wonderful anonymity I have here. The American’s ‘I don’t give a damn’ attitude…is wonderful. I don’t have to shave to go to Denny’s… I can be much more relaxed.”

He also says Americans don’t live up to their stereotypes.

“I’ve had no meaningfully negative experience here…Americans are, on average, much more courteous than Europeans.”

The prince enjoys his time at SMU as well.

“I adore going to DeGolyer [library] and Bridwell, but DeGolyer is my favorite, he said. “SMU also offered me the unique opportunity to introduce my new wife to King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia when they came to visit the Meadows Museum. It meant a lot to me to have the opportunity to do that.”

Prince Han’s classes are priced $19 – $29. For more information, contact the Non-Degree Credit Studies Department at (214) 768 – 7587.