Guide to creating a band with Pulling Wool

SMU student plucks away at life-time dream of making it big in music

Just two and one-half years ago, Dwayne Hedges was a freshman who like many college students, was clueless as to what he was going to do when he graduated.

A sharp individual, math minded and witty, Dwayne never thought his love for music and his late nights spent strumming away on his guitar would soon send him down a journey that would solve the worries of “What am I goint to be when I grow up?”

His laid back demeanor would leave some perplexed as to how such a non-arrogant, soft spoken guy could even compete against the sell outs in the music industry.

“There are a lot of great guitarists out there who don’t have the first idea of how to meet the right people and join a successful band,” Hedges said. “I had to advertise myself online for weeks until I met someone.”

Before even meeting the right person who led him to be lead guitarist of Pulling Wool, there was over a year of perfecting guitar skills, grabbing leads and forming a band in which he could record some music.

Hank Backus, Hedges roommate and drummer during 2001, commented on Dwayne’s ambition.

“Dwaynes really into it, he’s doing great and he’s getting some big leads.”

At this time, Hedges had formed a band out of his fellow swim team friends. They named the band “Stirred.”

“Jon Hemphill is a great guitarist and we worked hard together to get “Stirred” out there and performing,” Hedges said.

They practiced in Hedges’ garage and initially had live performances there for friends before “Stirred” began playing at Across the Street Bar and other venues.

Hedges even gave lessons to a beginner bass player who had virtually no experience in music so they could have a complete band.

While “Stirred” made improvements on recorded music and guitar skills, Hedges had bigger aspirations in mind.

He realized he wanted to see just how far he could get with this whole rock star thing.

Matthw Cehi, lead singer and manager of Pulling Wool, claims he noticed Dwayne’s enthusiasm for the band and quickly took him under his wing.

“At the beginning, Dwayne and I just handed out 3000-4000 c.d.s for free and left them to clubs in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area,” Cehi said. “We also started performing on Wednesday nights as a new band.”

In the first year, Cehi pushed everyone to record a c.d.

“I wanted to go to the Vegas music convention where we could start meeting people,” Cehi said.

“The music industry is a catch 22,” Hedges commented. “You have to have good enough music so that people want to hear you, but you can’t just create music producers won’t appreciate.”

Cehi and Hedges both admit the band takes around the clock dedication. They are influenced by several bands including Live, Korn, Our Lady Peace, Fuel and 80s rock.

“We just came out with our new c.d. called ‘Beat Down,”’Cehi said. “We called it that because we were literally all beat down by the end of recording it.”

Pulling Wool, who got its name from the idea that Cehi pulls hot girls to the shows, found a mentor that connected them with a well-known producer in the area.

“Our producer has planned for our c.d. to be released to as many radio stations as possible,” Cehi said. “The goal is to be in front of as many record labels as possible, because when your name hits, it spreads very quickly in the music industry.”

“The key is to have the drive to seek these people out,” Hedges said. “It’s difficult to figure out where to start.”

While Pulling Wool’s next plan is to meet the program director for South by Southwest and hope to meet someone who’ll make them big, they’re currently enjoying performing all around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

“We’ve played at the Galaxy Club, Curtain Club, Club Clearview, Trees, and the Gypsy Tea Room,” Hedges said of the band. “I hope to continue playing and make a career of it if I can when I graduate next May.”

Pulling Wool has been interviewed on the WB after Dawson’s Creek and their future events include playing along side “Sugar Bomb” who is featured on the Orange County sound track on Nov. 9 at 10 p.m., and a charity event where Cehi will be auctioned off to benefit the Johnny Rocks.

“I plan to keep playing music till my hands fall off,” Hedges said. “We’re all great friends doing something we love.”

For more information about Pulling Wool, or to purchase their c.d., visit www.PullingWool.com.