Scholars discuss Mexico’s free market

Mexico is a country in rapid transition. As the tenth anniversary of NAFTA approaches, rarely has there been an opportunity to witness a country’s transition to a free market and a democratic system.

Several scholars from universities gathered Saturday to present and discuss research on the possibility for increased prosperity in Mexico for the 21st century.

Panel members discussed topics ranging from Mexico’s political institutions to political culture, as well as foreign economic relations and domestic economic policy.

The panelists’ research was aimed at trying to assess Mexico’s position both economically and politically, ” said Elizabeth Zechmeister, of Duke University, who presented her findings on voters, political candidates and electoral choice in Mexico.

“[We’re trying to assess] how citizens add to changes over time,” she said.

Political science Professor Michael Lusztig of SMU presented his research, “Economic Reform and Democracy in Mexico: Macro-Cultural Change and Regime Dynamics,” during a discussion on political culture.

“Political culture is robust, but equally clear that a political society does change,” he said.

Cox master’s student John Hernandez was among the attendees at the discussion.

“I came because I got my undergrad in international trade and business. I thought that it would be interesting because it’s something that I am going into,” he said.

Hernandez studied international marketing and business in Mexico for one year during his undergraduate years.

Lyris Leos, another Cox graduate student, came to hear interesting and relevant discussion that might apply to what she will be doing later in life.

“I would like to work in Mexico someday or get my tenure [in Mexico] after my MBA,” she said. “I felt that this would be helpful and allow me to learn something.”