The Daily Campus declares top five albums of 2010

It’s December. To most this means fighting the weekend crowds at malls in search of Christmas gifts, but it also means that 2010 is coming to a close and it’s time for the annual “Best Of” lists!

2010 had so many great album releases, it was difficult to narrow down to only five.  

But if you have a music lover on your Christmas list, or if these are missing from your collection, here are the must haves!

5. Sleigh Bells, “Treats”

If you have walked into an Urban Outfitters any time recently, you likely heard a track off of this duo’s fabulous debut album “Treats.”

They are quoted as being “an American noise pop duo” that employs distorted guitars and hard hitting electronic beats.

The female vocals have the same “sugar in the raw” graininess of Beach House, but their sound can also be just as aggressive as “Fragile” era Nine Inch Nails or Yeah Yeah Yeahs before Karen O went sober.  

While it’s hard to pick a few tracks that shine above the rest on this album, a great two to start out with are “Infinity Guitars” and “Kids.”

4. The Black Angels,

“Phosphene Dream”  

This native Austin band is quite reminiscent of 1960’s dark psychedelica groups such as Velvet Underground, Doors and the Stones. The Angels’ sound has broken vocals, heavy bass, vintage organs, and is dripping with reverb.

I find that this record is great to put on at a party, especially with groovy tracks like “Telephone.”

It is also perfect for a solo drive with dark and chilling songs like “Bad Vibrations.”  

This haunting album can make you dance or give you chills all while transporting you back to another time. That’s a good album in my book!   

3. Vampire Weekend, “Contra”  

Whenever a band reinvents themselves after a largely successful debut, they always run the risk of loosing critical acclaim and devoted fans.  

If they do it right, like Vampire Weekend, they will take the music scene by storm.  

This follow up album still has all the pieces we love about VW: the playfulness, rapid fast guitar/bass work and great tempo changes meshed with African style percussion.  

This new album tries a daring dip into electronic, even using “auto-tune” gracefully on one track. Overall the album was recorded with such squeaky clean sonic precision that is an absolute joy on headphones or blasting in a club.  

Check out manic tracks like “Cousins” or playful tunes like “Run” and “Diplomat’s Son.”

2. Gorillaz, “Plastic Beach”

This long awaited album most certainly did not disappoint.  

Damon Albarn melds the most diverse collection of guest musicians that you get a taste of almost every sound and genre.

This album preaches the message of waste and global deterioration subtly and gracefully with mind blowing tracks containing legends such as members of the Clash, Lou Reed, Bobby Womack, Mick Jones, Snoop Dog, Mos Def and Swedish electronic group Little Dragon.  

With songs that make you shake, to those that make you cry, there is a little something for everyone.  Personal favorites of mine include: “To Binge,” “Rhinestone Eyes” and “Some Kind of Nature.”

1. Deerhunter, “Halcyon Digest”

My favorite album of the year goes to Deerhunter.  The fuzziness mixed with echoing reverb of the recording allows for a duality of grit and beauty.  It contains some of the most simple yet soul destroying lyrics I have heard in a while.  

There is something very child-like and otherworldly about “Halcyon Digest,” all while being relatable and enjoyable to the ear.

If you’re looking for a good cry check out “Helicopter” or “Basement Scene” or if you want to move a little check out “Coronado” and “Revival.”