Now playing: annual Deep Ellum film festival

Local film makers display work and support cancer relief
 Now playing
Now playing

Now playing

Lights! Camera! Action!

The Dallas arts district will welcome the fourth annual Deep Ellum Film Festival this month for twelve days of art shows, workshops, screenings, and the traditional late night festival parties.

The Deep Ellum Film Festival(DE/F2) features filmmakers and their work as well as experts in the industry leading in discussions and workshops for current and potential filmmakers.

It is Texas’ fastest growing film event and the premier independent film festival in Dallas. DE/F2 is unique in its mission of promoting the art of filmmaking while supporting the ongoing battle with cancer.

The festival will run from Nov. 10 to Nov. 21. It will feature seminars and workshops, most running for four hours at a cost of $50 in advance or $75 at the door.

Tickets can be purchased online by emailing [email protected].

The festival is organized by Deep Ellum Film, Music, Arts and Noise (DEFMAN), a non-profit organization that promotes the art of filmmaking and raises funds for the relief of individuals with cancer.

Michele Houston, a professor in Southern Methodist University’s division of broadcast journalism, said she encourages her students to attend the festival.

“The Deep Ellum Film Festival offers students a chance to meet people working in the film community and to mix with people who have a passion for film,” she said.

Houston also said that attending festivals like DE/F2 provide access to industry contacts and are a venue of “great stories that you might not get to see or hear anywhere else.”

Seminars include “How to Pitch and Sell Your Ideas to Hollywood” with Robert Kosberg and Jonathan Koch speaking on Tuesday, Nov. 12.

Panel discussions will focus on “Filmmaking in the Digital Age,” “Acting… What is the secret to success?” and “The Future of Independent Film… Where do we go from here?”

Every night of the Festival’s run will feature screenings of both major and independent films as well as Festival parties beginning at 10 p.m. and going until midnight.

Films may run from a quick 9 minutes, to a full two hours.

The film festival is heavily dependent on volunteers, according to festival volunteer coordinator Amber Shipp.

“Anyone can volunteer,” she said. She also said it’s a great way for directors, producers, crews, actors and actresses to mix and meet other people in the industry.

Brittany Edwards, an art history major and journalism minor said she will be volunteering at the Film Festival.

“I think it’s going to be a good opportunity to get involved with the community of filmmakers and it will attract more people than anything that’s on campus [regarding film],” Edwards said.

DEFMAN Executive Director Melina McKinnon said proceeds raised by the event will go to support and help patients suffering from cancer through their charity “Go Deep: The Cancer Relief Fund.”.

“We provide direct financial support to help the quality of life of cancer patients,” she said.

The organization helps provide financial assistance ranging from medical expenses to mortgage payments.

So far, Go Deep has donated $5000 to both the Susan G. Komen Cancer Foundation and the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.

The 2002 festival is projected to have over 15,000 filmmakers, fans and supporters of the arts.

A full schedule of events and more information about the film festival, Go Deep, volunteering and tickets are available on the DEFMAN Web site at www.def2.org.