Salmon provides an ample amount of nourishment

Fish oil and Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in various types of fish, such as salmon, and can also be consumed through dietary supplements.
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus

Fish oil and Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in various types of fish, such as salmon, and can also be consumed through dietary supplements. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Salmon is an excellent source of proteins, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins. The fish is filled with healthy fish oils that contribute to muscle and heart strengthening as well as the reduction of various diseases. Studies show that consuming the fatty acids that are abundant in salmon can help to live a longer and healthier life. These fish oils are not only prevalent in salmon, but can be found in other fish and dietary supplements as well.

Although fish oil can be obtained through vitamins and supplements, you can receive the same health benefits by incorporating foods that are high in fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids.

The most common of these include albacore tuna, herring, mackerel, sardines, lake trout and of course salmon. More and more people have started to incorporate foods and supplements rich in fish oil into their diet as the healthy benefits of the omega-3 fatty acids have been raising more attention.

Fish oil helps fight against numerous diseases. Some of the diseases that fish oil fights against are cancer, diabetes, arthritis, AIDS and Alzheimer’s disease. Aside from treating these diseases, fish oil contains many benefits that are prevalent in every day life.

According to the American Heart Association, research proves that omega 3 has shown to reduce the occurrence of cardiovascular diseases.

The omega 3 found in fish oil reduces the risk of heart diseases and heart arrhythmias. It also lowers the level of bad cholesterol and increases the level of good cholesterol. Because of this, fish oil is vital in treating heart strokes and avoiding numerous sudden cardiac deaths.

As well as contributing to a healthy heart, fish oil aids with weight loss as it increases metabolism and fat burning during exercise.

It also has been proven to improve immunity. Fish oil has been said to increase the body’s immunity and therefore helps to prevent colds, cough and flu. Omega-3 fatty acids play a key role in both weight loss and improved immunity as they contain cytokines and eicosanoids that are beneficial to the body.

Other important properties that fish oil helps to treat are numerous nervous disorders. The Omega-3 fatty acids help to reduce depression, sadness, anxiety and numerous other disorders.

As well as having multiple internal health benefits, fish oil is also beneficial to skin and hair care.

By consuming the oil, poor and dry skin can be transformed to shiny and glowing as it helps in reducing a loss of moisture from the skin.

Fish oil is also helpful for treating various skin diseases such as acne. The omega 3 is also effective in providing nourishment to hair follicles and contributing to hair growth. It also prevents hair loss and provides a bountiful supply of proteins that are necessary for hair growth.

Because it is very rich in proteins, consuming fish helps to contribute to healthy hair as well as glowing skin.

Fish oil is gaining increasing popularity for its countless health benefits and disease fighting properties.

Try incorporating salmon and other types of fish to improve your diet. The fish oils and omega-3 fatty acids found in this power food will nourish your body and help you sustain a healthy, active lifestyle.

Try this recipe

Bourbon-Glazed Salmon

Ingredients

3 tablespoons brown sugar

3 tablespoons bourbon

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets

Cooking spray

1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Preparation

1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag.

2. Add fish to bag; seal.

3. Marinate in refrigerator 1 1/2hours, turning occasionally.

4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

5. Coat pan with cooking spray.

6. Add fish and marinade to pan; cook fish 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

7. Place 1 fillet on each of 4 plates; drizzle each serving with about 2 teaspoons sauce.

8. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and 3/4 teaspoon sesame seeds.