Daily Campus demands active, representative Student Senate

As we approach the first meeting of the SMU Student Senate, to be held on Tuesday, Aug. 31, The Daily Campus reminds senators of their mandate and encourages courageous and active representation throughout this academic year.

The Senate website (smu.edu/studentsenate) clearly states the mandate of the organization:

“Student Senate represents the Students Association within the University governance structure. Among its many responsibilities, Senate initiates action on student concerns, adopts the Student Code of Conduct, provides student scholarships, and is responsible for the appropriation of funds to student organizations.”

Every currently enrolled student on campus is, by virtue of his or her enrollment in the university, a member of the Students Association. As such, his or her representation within the University is entirely dependent on the voice of an elected student senator.

Therefore, membership on Student Senate is as much an honor as it is a responsibility. This responsibility requires that each student senator make a consistent and active effort to understand the needs and wants of his or her constituency.

In the 2009-2010 school year, misappropriated funds and lax control of the budget led to qualified organizations, such as the East Asian Student Association, the Vietnamese Student Association and the Wake Boarding Club, being denied funding requests in the Finance Committee. Worst yet, Model United Nations, despite being approved for funding before the Finance Committee, was denied the pre-determined amount once on the Senate floor.

The Daily Campus cautions the Student Senate against making a similar mistake.

The decisions made on Tuesday afternoons in the Hughes-Trigg forum directly affect the existence and success of chartered student organizations and student life in general. Make them with forethought and the needs of your constituents in mind.

Though tradition has dictated that larger organizations such as Program Council and Student Foundation be given large, pre-determined sums, weigh the use of the money and consider the needs of smaller, more recent organizations that may have equal or greater merit. These, like small businesses, have much to contribute and can be caveats that affect change within the University.

Furthermore, maintain the goals of the SMU’s Second Century Campaign as a rubric against which to measure the worth of endeavors that are presented before you.

As student leaders, dare to initiate change; bring forth legislation that addresses the concerns of your constituents. Last year, such initiatives as SMU’s Heart Beats for Haiti and Mustangs Who Care were resounding successes that reflected positively on Student Senate. Continue enacting such legislation.

And, finally, remember that you are the only voice of your constituents before the University. With this great honor comes great responsibility.