Have a haunted Halloween

Courtesy of The Cutting Edge
One of the Cutting Edge’s custom characters for its haunted house located in Fort Worth.
Courtesy of The Cutting Edge

Courtesy of The Cutting Edge (One of the Cutting Edge’s custom characters for its haunted house located in Fort Worth. )

Forget costumes. Forget candy. Forget everything you’ve ever thought about traditional Halloween staples. Haunted houses, full of their guts, gore and, of course, the undead, are the newest way to ring in Allhallows Eve.

And if a good scare is what you’re looking for, there’s plenty to be had.

Dallas and Fort Worth are no strangers to haunted houses as some of the nation’s premiere haunted houses call the metroplex home.

From a Guinness World Record holder to a “Trail of Terror” see the scary options below.

Reindeer Manor Amusement Park

We don’t really know what’s so amusing about the spine-chilling scares at Reindeer Manor, but nevertheless the attraction calls itself an amusement park. With three separate buildings, The Haunted House at Reindeer Manor, 13th Street Morgue and Dungeon of Doom, the Red Oak mainstay, have been operating for close to 40 years. Adding to its scare value, Reindeer Manor claims that the property is actually haunted. We’ll let you decided for yourself.

410 Houston School Rd. Red Oak, TX, 75154. Three separate attractions, ticket prices vary. Admission to all three $35 for adults, $17 for kids. www.reindeermanor.com

Terrorplex

Four separate haunted houses combine on the outskirts of Dallas to form Mansfield’s Terrorplex. With five years under its belt, Terrorplex includes attractions like Midnight Manor, Infected and The Circus of the Dead. With those types of titles, you know you’re in for a fright. The site’s newest addition is called Limbo, an outdoor maze full of twists and turns waiting for you to get lost inside. The complex also has concessions available for those who need food after a fright. Oh, and if you’re looking for an insight into your future, Terrorplex also has its own in-house Psychic.

6921 Bennett Lawson, Mansfield, TX 76063. Regular admission is $27, VIP $37. Discounts availible online. www.terrorplex.com

Zombie Manor

As if scenes of television’s The Walking Dead have jumped off the screen, Arlington’s Zombie Manor scares its patrons through the likes of the undead. The attraction has recieved praise from multiple press outlets for its interactive, technological advanced features. Zombie Manor, much like the aformentioned Reindeer Manor claims that its scares are genuine and cites a lengthy history that dates back to the 1800s. Think you’ve got the guts to conquer you zombie fears?

7501 US Highway 287 Arlington, TX 76001. Ticket prices vary $17-$88. www.zombiemanor.com

The Haunt House

Filled with creepy clowns, devilish doctors and demented dolls, The Haunt House isn’t for the faint of heart. The Haunt House prides iteself on its realistic makeup, characters and special effects. The attraction has even gone as far as creating reoccuring characters (complete with Facebook pages) that are annual staples at the scary site. Our favorite? Rigor T. Morris, the melted face man’s profile picture shows him and Elvis in a scary (but kind of funny?) handshake.

4935 West I-30 Caddo Mills, TX 75135. General admission is $17, VIP $24. www.thehaunthouse.com

The Cutting Edge

If there was a Ferrari of haunted houses, The Cutting Edge would be it. Located in the heart of downtown Fort Worth, The Cutting Edge holds the Guinness World Record for the planet’s largest walk through haunted house. Think that’s not enough? The haunted house calls a 1908 meat packing plant its home. The attraction has gotten its fair share of attention as its been featured on the Travel Channel and in the pages of Hauntworld magazine.

1701 E. Lancaster Ave. Fort Worth, TX 76102. General admission is $30 , Speedpass $50. www.cuttingedgehauntedhouse.com

Moxley Manor Haunted House

Located in Bedford scare seekers need to be prepared to face the wrath of the Moxleys. According to the story, the young affluent Moxley family moved to Dallas but were struck with financial burdens. After a series of unexpected murders to the family the house is left desolate. This year Moxley Manor will expand and introduce new scares with a twist. Well-known phobias will be unleashed on Harwood.

510 Harwood Road, Bedford, Texas 76021. General admission is $15, Fastpass $25. www.moxleymanor.com

Thrillvania Thrill Park

Thrillvania’s property is filled with five dastardly haunted attractions. Enjoy roaming the halls with wicked clowns luring you into party or performing a séance in a dark and twisted theater. Thrillvania has a multitude of horrific attractions that will create a scary time for all that attend. Located east of Dallas in Terrell, the range of attractions and frights are something that will have you screaming for more.

2330 County Road 138, Terrell, TX 75161. General admission is $30, VIP $40. www.thrillvania.com

Texas Scare Grounds

Voted one of Haunted Attraction Magazine’s Must-See Haunted Houses in 2009, the Scaregrounds offers four sinister attractions in a 13-acre scare-fest. Bring a change of pants if you don’t think you can handle it. The Nightmares in Kennedale are not the only attraction but multiple haunts are here to scare, including an interactive hayride.

800 W. Kennedale Parkway, Kennedale, TX 76060. General admission is $21, www.texasscaregrounds.com

Screams

Screams is not just a haunted house it is a Halloween Theme Park that includes five major attractions.The attraction features a creepy cast of creative characters. Find out where fear dwells with the parks haunted castle and set sail to Peril Point with terror coming at you in 3D. The theme park will have you screaming again and again because visitors can go through the park as many times as they like. Hopefully you can build up some courage the second time around.

2511 FM 66, Waxahachie, TX 75167. General admission is $25, www.screamspark.com

Tayman Graveyard Haunted Attraction

Benefitting the North Texas Food Bank and the Humane Societ y of North Texas, Tayman Graveyard will be haunting your nightmares. Experience four haunted attractions that will make for a frightful night. The park is debuting Gravedigger’s Hallow where the locals say restless souls are lying in wait for their next victim. Don’t be lulled into a false security with the park’s donation aspect because the Tayman is here to scare.

4721 Cecilia Avenue, Midlothian TX. General admission is $25, www.taymangraveyard.com

Fright Fest

Six Flag’s brings it annual celebration mixing the excitements of the day to the horrors of the night. Experience the attractions of Six Flags with a slight twist. Mix your sights with ghouls next to you on the Titan and scream at the top of Texas Giant with zombies picking your brains. Chills and thrills are what you get with the transformation of Six Flags to darkness.

472201 Road to Six Flags, Arlington, TX 76011. General admission is $60, www.sixflags.com

Parker House

The Parker House draws its scare factor from a 1940s home based mortuary that was shut down by the FBI. With roots in the haunted, the Parker House is Denton’s go to haunted house. Even though the attraction is in the business of making people scream, the Parker House uses its profits to help local Denton charaties.

48550 West University Dr. Denton TX 76207. Admission is $25, VIP $25, www.dfwfrightnights.com