Class of 2009 has large out of state numbers

California and Florida lead pack

As the May 1 deadline approaches, acceptances and deposits are rolling in for the incoming class of 2009.

“We are in the home stretch,” said Nancy Peterson, director of marketing and constituent relations for undergraduate admissions.

The admissions office has received about 600 deposits and expects to gross more than 1,400. By early May, about 95 percent of the class will have committed to SMU, Peterson said.

“We’ve been extraordinarily pleased with our applications,” Peterson said. Exceeding 7,500, total applications increased 15 percent this year.

Last year, approximately 53 percent of the incoming class was from Texas and 47 percent was from out of state. This year, those numbers have reversed, with California and Florida continuing to provide the most out-of-state students.

Peterson said the increase of out-of-staters could be attributed to the intensified number of preview events that recruit students nationwide. These events involve admissions personnel and representatives from various schools who present SMU to parents and students.

Last year, preview events were held only in Dallas and Houston, each reaching hundreds of people. This year, SMU held 10 events, ranging from southern California, Kansas City, Atlanta, Oklahoma and other locations around the country.

“They tend to be very successful programs that give parents and students an opportunity to learn more about SMU,” Peterson said.

Specific statistics regarding test scores and class ranks are unavailable because not all deposits are in, but Peterson said the group of students is stronger academically and “a very competitive class.”

“We’re primed to have a great class for fall 2005,” Peterson said.

Students who have already committed to SMU will have the opportunity to visit campus during Mustang Days, the first session of which starts today.