Deep Ellum Arts Festival signals breath of life

The annual Deep Ellum arts festival was held the weekend of April 1-3. Between the streets of Hall and Good-Latimer, artists displayed their creations as viewers strolled tent-to-tent.

Upon arriving at the festival, it seemed as if Deep Ellum had opened up its doors for some family-fun, clashing with its normal unwritten rules of edgy “Adult-Only.” It was noticeable that there were less local artists, yet this was definitely made up through the talent.

The clubs and restaurants boomed with excitement, along with three music stages and a local club D.J. who kept the mood alive. This steered the festival away from what initially felt like the State Fair.

The range of experience was definitely large, with artists who had been creating for a little over four years alongside others with up to fourteen years of experience.

Artist John P. Irizarry began his journey after finding a canvas in an attic five years ago. Irizarry works with various mediums from a simple brush to barbecue tongs.

His works reflect the first half of his life spent living in New York City, but the dynamic of his Texas experience influence his paintings, as well. Vibrant buildings bend and sway, along with abstract pieces that are nearly able to yell out to anyone.

Down the street was Darren E. Minke with breathtaking stain paintings and vibrant digital art. Making art for 12 years, Minke’s stain paintings bled beauty with the deepest emotion seeping through the cracks.

The fact that Minke’s digital art was created through computer seemed impossible, as the pieces definitely displayed the cross-over of art that has been seen a lot throughout the past 20 years. Minke’s “Quetzacoatl” was creative, impressive and a beautiful collaboration of Minke’s talents.

Being a reflection of Dallas, and how far the city can go to be considered seriously metropolitan, Deep Ellum is definitely part of that recipe.

Deep Ellum has been a staple in Dallas, no matter how deep its slump has gone the past decade.

The arts festival proves that one can still find Deep Ellum breathing.

An SMU alum was found wandering the festival, and this time, he found a new feel in the old neighborhood.

“I feel like this is a great mix of old Deep Ellum and new cosmopolitan Dallas,” Ken Montgomery said.

This new recipe for revival could give Deep Ellum a new start for future visitors, artists and Dallas-ites.