Senate wraps up semester, opens up new seats

The SMU Student Senate wrapped up the semester on a positive note Tuesday afternoon.

Several senators will not return next semester due to December graduation, study abroad and other personal reasons.

The Membership Committee will fill these vacancies shortly. The vacancies include the Asian-American seat, two Cox and Dedman I seats, and seats in Dedman II, Lyle, Simmons and Meadows.

Meadows Senator Roza Essaw will leave her position to study in SMU-in-Washington, where she will participate in the international law and organizations program.

Essaw has been a part of Senate for three years, and has worked on a variety of related projects. Essaw believes the Senate’s “biggest success” comes from “the committees who have taken [a variety of] tasks … As well as particular members in senate who have gone above and beyond to produce commendable results.”

Similar to Essaw, Asian-American Senator Hanna Kim will also attend SMU-in-Washington, where she and Essaw will study together at American University.

Kim enjoyed meeting her constituents in the Asian-American community and working with Asian Council and other Asian organizations on campus.

“I hope to return to senate next year and have the full experience,” Kim said.

Kim wishes, however, that Senate offered some type of social events for Senators to meet each other in a less formal setting.

Also studying abroad is Lyle Senator Christian Genco, who will attend Curtin University in Australia.

“I’ll dearly miss senate. So much so that I have plans to wake up at 5:30 a.m. Australia time so I can FaceTime into a senate meeting,” Genco said.