Big top dazzles big screen in ‘Water for Elephants’

Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox
Robert Pattinson in a still from the film “Water for Elephants.” He stars as a veterinary student who runs away with the circus.

Robert Pattinson in a still from the film “Water for Elephants.” He stars as a veterinary student who runs away with the circus. (Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox)

For many college students getting the opportunity to see a movie is rare. After all, with philanthropy events, studying, and the million other things we have to do, movies are somewhat of a low priority.

This is why I made it my duty to buck the system and actually go see something new and noteworthy.

Over Easter break, I got the chance to finally go see the much-anticipated film “Water for Elephants.”

This film proved to be a carefully crafted production of an enjoyable love story—and it also gave hope to those not-so-twihards out there that an acting career for Robert Pattinson, sans a gaudy amount of translucent powder, an ever-present look of pain, and Kristen Stewart, could be in the works.

The initial premise of the movie came from the bestselling book of the same name.

Since I have not read the book, I must now apologize to those who have and ask forgiveness if my enjoyment of the movie comes at the expense of a botched attempt to re-create the book.

Because I didn’t have the story line in my head, I was able to enjoy what was presented before me.

Overall, the movie was very good. The storyline, largely taken from the book, allowed Pattinson to move beyond Edward Cullen, and embody another frustrated lover, but this time the lover helped animals instead of ate them.

Obviously, this major switch shows the diversity of which we have come to expect from Pattinson.

Reese Witherspoon was able to carry most of the emotional drama in this film as the unloved wifes possibly because her Oscar award-winning role as June Cash made for an easy stereotype to fall back into.

But, my favorite character of all had to have been the reprisal role Christoph Waltz made with his character August, the ringleader of the circus.

The reprisal comes from the painstakingly similar character of Col. Hans Landa from “Inglorious Basterds.”

Indeed, these two characters even had the same odd accent.

Something I sincerely hope Waltz intended.

If anything, even if “Water for Elephants” was an amalgamation of different characters coming together for a feature film, it was the sappy love story that was needed for a 19-year-old and her friends to hold onto before the hellacious week of finals.

If anything, I recommend to see it and judge for yourself, it is certainly worth seeing.

But beware, your desire for an Elephant will be quite high once the credits start to roll.

“Water for Elephants” is currently playing in most major theaters.