Gates talks experience, advice to high schoolers

Former Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates offered his words of wisdom at the Hart Global Leaders Forum Wednesday. Gates spoke to the audience, which included students from both SMU and 24 high schools from the Dallas area, about his experiences throughout his career and offered advice to those pursuing a college degree.

President Turner introduced the founders of the Hart Global Leaders Forum, Linda and Mitch Hart, and thanked them for bringing a program of such high caliber to SMU’s campus.

Linda Hart explained that the program aims to introduce high school students to the college experience and the opportunities that come with a college degree. Hart is a graduate of SMU’s Dedman School of Law and Cox School of Business. The Hart’s chose to bring Gates to SMU’s campus to give students current insight into the domestic and foreign affairs of our country from someone with first-hand experience.

Gates served as the 22nd U.S. Secretary of Defense from 2006 to 2011. Before assuming the position, he received a bachelor’s degree in history from William and Mary and a master’s degree from the University of Indiana.

The CIA recruited Gates from Indiana in 1966. Originally, the CIA intended to train him as a spy, but after a failed trial mission, he became a CIA analyst.

“I was less James Bond and more Austin Powers,” Gates joked.

After working for the CIA, he served as president of Texas A&M University for seven years before assuming his role as U.S. Secretary of Defense.

Gates spoke about pressing topics that included overseas military action and our country’s current economic deficit. He encouraged the audience not to succumb to pessimism but instead to maintain a sense of optimism and idealism.

“It is unrealistic to believe our government can stop any and all terrorist attacks in the future,” Gates said. “We have been lucky that many attempts against our country have failed.”

In regards to our country’s economic situation, Gates believes it would be foolish to cut down on military affairs despite our budget deficit. He elaborated by saying that even in our time of stress, other parts of the world still look to us for leadership.

After his speech, Gates took questions from students in the audience. They asked questions regarding his comments on military and government actions and his educational experiences. Gates encouraged students in the audience to maintain a flexible plan for their lives.

“If you have too firm of a plan, you will be unwilling to take opportunities that disrupt that plan,” he said. “Do not be blind to opportunities and be willing to take risks.”

SMU’s vice president for Development and External Affairs Brad E. Cheves concluded the forum by thanking Gates for taking the time to speak at SMU and for offering advice to the many adolescents in the audience.