Mustang Fitness Club to cycle for cure

Juvenile diabetes is a real crisis for the youth of America, affecting about one in every 400 to 600 children. About two million adolescents, aged 12-19, are at the risk of being diagnosed with it.

It is also the seventh leading cause of death in the U.S. and the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults.  

It’s no joke: diabetes is a serious health epidemic. It is one that has personally affected me, with both my father and my grandfather having been diagnosed as Type II diabetics.

There are two types of diabetes: Type I and II. Type I diabetes is usually diagnosed in adolescents and young adults.  Only five to 10 percent of diabetics has this form, and with the help of modern treatment, they can expect to live a long and healthy life.  Type II diabetes affects millions of Americans, and it’s usually developed through poor lifestyle decisions.

For a normally functioning person, the pancreas produces insulin, which helps to control the glucose in our bodies.  Diabetes is the absence of this ability, and the build-up of glucose in the body can lead to hyperglycemia.  Untreated for long periods, it can lead to ketoacidosis, and eventually to coma and death. Fortunately, insulin can be produced synthetically through recombinant DNA technology, a true boon to diabetics that has only emerged in the last two decades.

There are many misconceptions about diabetes.  Eating too much sugar does not cause it.  Type I diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that are still being researched today.  Type II diabetes is caused by family history and an unhealthy lifestyle.  Being overweight does increase your chances of developing Type II diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or fat, can contribute to this weight gain.  And no, diabetes cannot be contracted from another person.  Though it is still uncertain as to why certain people develop it, it is not contagious like the flu.

Now it’s time to make a difference.  The Mustang Fitness Club is hosting the first-ever Cycle for the Cure Event in partnership with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation on Nov. 13 at the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports.  

The concept is revolutionary: 30 stationary bicycles will be “sold” off to 30 teams, at a price of $100 apiece, and each team must raise $600.  Each team can consist of up to 12 members, who will take turns riding the bike for 12 hours.  Throughout those 12 hours, there will be entertainment, food and beverages provided, and raffle prizes drawn every hour.  For the highest fundraising team, there will be a grand price and, more importantly, bragging rights for the year.

So take the challenge, and truly make a difference in somebody’s life!  Whether you’re a frat boy or a sorority girl, a liberal or conservative, transcend your cliques and ride for something greater.  They don’t expect you to be in peak physical condition but just have the heart to truly achieve your best.  

To register, please log online at jdrf.com or contact Kelly Richards at [email protected].  Join the discussion on Juvenile diabetes on Facebook at “Mustang Fitness Club” and show your support.