Open Mic Night

Open Mic Night
Photo by John Shreiber, The Daily Campus
Open Mic Night

Open Mic Night (Photo by John Shreiber, The Daily Campus)

SMU students and visitors gathered in the Varsity last night to hear various artists perform at the open microphone event. Axis, a chartered religious group, hosted Open Mic. Axis is a chartered religious group on campus. The event enables anyone who wants to perform to freely express themselves through poetry, guitar, dancing, rapping, guitar and music.

“Someone may mention religion but someone may not. They may mention relationships or something that is not religious at all. Axis’ Pastor of College Irini Fambro said. “True religion is about honesty and the microphone enables people to be honest.”

Spoken word artist Will Richey said the organization’s intention is not to use this event to press religion on anyone.

“There is freedom of expression and I believe it is the voice of the future,” he said. Richey who has open for Neo-Soul artist Erykah Badu and poet Maya Angelou was the hosted Open Mic.

Students anxiously volunteered to perform. The performances were spontaneous and sometimes planned. The microphone was a platform for creative talent and at times venting.

“It inspired me to write more poems. It’s like therapy for me. It is a very unique way to express yourself,” first-year student Ilyssa Pettigrew said.

Pettigrew wrote poems about a couple of relationships that that did not pan out.

While the artist Black Wax performed his poem titled “Every Super Hero Needs Theme Music” he pantomimed movement and read it to a systematic beat.

Business major Orin Atkin also participated. “It’s fun and I really enjoy doing it,” he said.

Open Mic is hosted once a month and Axis encourages SMU students to attend.

“You can’t find yourself until you are honest with yourself.” Fambro said. “We want people to find themselves and reach their full potential.

It starts with being honest with yourself.”

Axis hosts Open Mic once a month at SMU. The next performance is scheduled for March 2 at 8 p.m.