Expo works up a crowd

Hegi Family Career Center hosts 65 companies in bi-annual job fair
 Expo works up a crowd
Photo by Clark Castle, The Daily Campus
Expo works up a crowd

Expo works up a crowd (Photo by Clark Castle, The Daily Campus)

The Hegi Career Center hosted 65 companies in the Hughes-Trigg Ballroom during its Spring Recruiting Expo yesterday afternoon. With its largest company attendance in three years, students poured into the ballroom dressed in three-piece suits, carrying resumés and eager to meet with potential employers.

Some students, like junior Dawn Jenkins, researched companies beforehand in order to use their expo time more efficiently.

An international studies major, Jenkins plans to pursue public policy when she graduates, and, like most in her field, she hopes to eventually end up in Washington, D.C. So when Jenkins discovered that a recruiter for U.S. Senator John Cornyn would be attending the expo, she knew she had to make an appearance.

“I really haven’t taken advantage of the career services here until now,” she said, adding that timing played a role in her decision to attend.

But not all students who attended knew what they were looking for. In fact, some browsed the tables and chatted with recruiters out of pure curiosity.

“I’m here to try and figure out what I want to do with my life,” said first-year B.B.A. Scholar Nicole Sarhady, who was looking for a possible summer internship or part-time work opportunity.

The companies and organizations that attended yesterday included: Dallas Independent School District; UT-Southwestern Medical Center; American Express Financial Advisors; U.S. Peace Corps; Student Senate; and Ernst & Young LLP, to name a few.