A bubble burst

Campus security requires caution on part of students, police action

Who would have thought that during the first month of school, the SMU community would have been witness to a shooting at a popular bar, carjackings, and a student being accosted near the Haggar Tennis Stadium. All along, Ed Board thought we were living in the “SMU Bubble” in beautiful Highland Park, U.S.A.?

While the SMU Police department continues its efforts, more can still be done, namely cleaning up the commuter lot where one of the carjackings occurred. Last time we checked, there was still glass strewn everywhere, and by our count there were three lights out.

The commuter lot isn’t the only place where students need to be careful, and where campus authorities can do simple things to help with safety. Take for instance the back side of the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports by the Cinco Center. With the expansion continuing, there is no reason that a light couldn’t be put up. There are only two dim lights in the Cinco Center lot, and right in the same area where the aforementioned student was accosted.

Even the Boulevard isn’t the safest place. Have you ever been on a late walk back from Fondren to your residence hall in the wee hours of the night? The Blue Angel emergency lights seem few and far between, and it feels like the only people within earshot are those students in the BMW that just flew past you. Ed Board begs the question of why the Boulevard can’t be better lit?

Ed Board believes that we should all be responsible for our own safety, and the well-being of our peers. SMU is by no means overrun with hoodlums waiting in dark corners of campus preying on unsuspecting Mustangs. But besides the issues that Ed Board has with some of the poorly lit areas of campus, we have a few suggestions that can be helpful to keep students safe, courtesy of the SMU PD:

1.) Don’t walk alone at night. You can call for an escort home from the SMU Police by calling 8-3388. Otherwise, try to walk with friends.

2.) Always be aware of your surroundings, especially in parking lots and garages. Have your keys ready as you approach your car and lock your doors after entering.

3.) If you are the victim of a crime or see something suspicious, call the police immediately at 911. Time is of the essence in such situations.

4.) You can also call for a ride from the Giddy-Up Shuttle by contacting 8-3333. The Giddy-up runs from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. every night.

Safety will always been an issue on college campuses, SMU is no different, so Ed Board suggests caution.