Ugg boots at hit in daily footwear

Exactly what were these new things call Uggs and Galoshes?

Uggs, galoshes and other type of boots took the place of the typical Texan cowboy boot over the winter season, especially at SMU.

According to uggs.com a man named Brian Smith, the inventor of the Ugg, brought the boot over to California for the surfers to slide their feet into right after surfing.

Winter 2003, the Australian boots, called Uggs seemed to hit the United States big, especially along the west coast. Uggs were not only the latest fashion statement but girls were wearing them with everything.

Come the holiday season, Uggs could not be found anywhere in the United States. Everywhere including Neiman Marcus had Uggs on back order.

“‘UGG Australia is the real deal,’ says Connie Rishwain, President of UGG Australia, on the website. ‘Once you wear UGG Australia, you’re hooked, they’re original, authentic, and the ultimate in luxury and comfort.’”

Uggs, the sheepskin boots, were worn with anything, starting with jeans all the way to skirts and short shorts. As the season became colder, the bottoms of jeans were stuffed into the top of Uggs, as the latest fashion.

Uggs come in a variety of color. The most popular color was considered the sand, other colors range from dark brown, pale pink, baby blue, and black

Uggs do not only come in a traditional boot but house shoes, as well.

Winter 2004 brought about the latest Ugg Australia product, an Ugg purse. Made out of the same material and very similar looking to Uggs, the Ugg purse did not hit the market as big as the boots did. Uggs were such a successful product and shoe, that stores began making “knock offs” to look like the Ugg boot and house shoe.

Uggs fall between $90.00 and $140.00 for both men and women. On top of that, Uggs require handwashing only.

After interviewing an SMU student, it became evident why everyone had to have ‘the Ugg boot.’ Meredith Keltner, a second year, stated, “They were a trend, so I asked for them for Christmas last year. Even if the trend starts to fall, I will still continue to wear them because they are so comfortable.” Those wearing Uggs are not only Texans and Californians, but the boots were seen on celebrities, like Cameron Diaz, and all over the northern, colder states.

Uggs were not the only latest shoe trend. When it was too wet to bring out the suede Uggs, SMU students slid their feet into rain boots. Galoshes have always been around why did they just come “in style” this year?

Rain boots seemed to be more of a practical trend rather than a fashionable one. With Texas drowned in a lot of rain this year, top brand names, such as Burberry, have begun making rain boots. Rain boot’s prices fell a little shorter than that of the Ugg boot. Rain boots were found at places like Target, L.L. Bean, Burberry, and other stores, this rainy winter season, with the highest end boot at about $125.00.

Some galoshes fall mid calf and others come all the way up to the knee.

The trend tended to hit the women college market more so than men. In the case of men, they wore their hunting boot apparel.

Margaret McNeilly, an SMU student who owns a pair of galoshes and never worn them, said, “I just don’t feel comfortable in them, they are not me. I got them for Christmas and thought they were really cute, but I think I look funny in them.”

Rain boots were a hit for college students and those rainy days walking to class. Galoshes kept everyone’s feet dry and warm during the rainy times.

After Uggs and galoshes in just the past two years, what will be next year?