Guildhall Game Corner

Hit movies come to game systems

Guild Wars to Launch April 28 in North America

Austin-based NCsoft Corp. this week announced it’s newest massively multiplayer online game (MMO) Guild Wars will be available in North America and Europe on April 28. Players who preorder Guild Wars will be able to use their preorder access codes to start playing the full game on April 27.

According to retailer EB Games, Guild Wars is one of the best-selling preorder PC games year-to-date in North America. More than 500,000 players have participated in public preview events in the U.S. and Europe. In Korea, where NCsoft Corp. is headquartered, Guild Wars was named the number one most anticipated game of 2005 by The Electronic Times.

Guild Wars is a competitive online role-playing game that rewards player skill. Players explore a rich fantasy game world, acquire skills, build personalized characters and compete in head-to-head guild battles with friends around the world. More information on the game can be found at http://www.guildwars.com.

All-Star Cast for Batman Begins Video Game

Electronic Arts and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment have inked an all-star cast for the Batman Begins video game. The game will feature the voices and likenesses of Christian Bale (Bruce Wayne/Batman), Michael Caine (Alfred Pennyworth), Liam Neeson (Henri Ducard), Katie Holmes (Rachel Dawes), Cillian Murphy (Dr. Jonathan Crane), Tom Wilkinson (Carmine Falcone) and Morgan Freeman (Lucius Fox), all reprising their roles from the upcoming Warner Bros. Pictures film directed by Christopher Nolan.

Launching the same day as the film on June 17, the Batman Begins video game, according to the game description, “challenges gamers to step into the shadows of Gotham City’s perilous criminal underworld as DC Comics’ legendary Dark Knight, and use fear as their ultimate weapon.”

The video game explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight’s emergence as a force for good in Gotham. Gamers will play as both Bruce Wayne and his alter-ego, Batman, hunting evil-doers from the shadows, using strength, intellect and an array of high tech gadgets to fight the sinister forces that threaten the city, including classic villains the Scarecrow, Ra’s Al Ghul and Carmine Falcone.

Batman Begins is currently in development by EA and Eurocom for the PlayStation 2, Xbox and GameCube.

Reservoir Dogs Gets In the Game

Reservoir Dogs, the Quentin Tarantino classic cult film, is being adapted into an action game for consoles and PC. Scheduled for release in 2006, players will go “deep into the seedy underground world of crime they fell in love with when it was originally released as a feature film,” accoridng to the game description. The game will be published by 2K Games. Now, where’s Mr. Pink?

Midway Announces The Suffering: Ties That Bind

Midway Games recently released information on The Suffering: Ties That Bind, sequel to the action/horror game, The Suffering. Set in the Baltimore, the player once again controls Torque as he seeks revenge against the mysterious grand manipulator Blackmore, a man somehow tied to the death of Torque’s family. The morality system returns, as players delve into the perverse world of Torque’s sanity to discover his past and struggle to control his future. Developed by Midway’s internal studio, Surreal Software, The Suffering: Ties That Bind is scheduled to ship for the PlayStation 2, the Xbox, and the PC in Fall 2005.

Go Deeper Into the Dark Side

Hasbro is taking Star Wars fans of all ages back to “a galaxy far, far away” with its new line of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith toys and games. Beginning April 2, fans will find a diverse collection of goodies, from role play items to games.

One of the must-haves, the company said, is the “Darth Vader Voice Changer” ($29.99). It features the realistic helmet, mask and chest plate that made the image of Darth Vader an icon. The toy plays the ominous Darth Vader breathing sound, and five of Vader’s most famous phrases: “The Force is with you,” “You don’t know the power of the dark side,” “Don’t make me destroy you,” “Your powers are weak,” and “There is no escape.”

The Guildhall at SMU is an intense 18-month certificate program in digital game development. The curriculum was designed by expert teachers working with leaders in the gaming industry to provide students with a solid foundation in game development. Visit http://guildhall.smu.edu.