The Apathy Must End

Ed Board wants a full student section tonight at Moody Coliseum

Apathy. Roughly defined, apathy is a lack of interest, concern, emotion or feeling, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; in other words indifference or impassiveness.

When Ed Board looked the word up, we found a picture of the SMU student body. The problem of people not showing any interest in campus events has increased this semester more than any in recent memory. Did anybody hear that we had two competitive basketball teams… and that they both won big games on Saturday night? Mustang basketball games at Moody Coliseum are some of the most exciting events on campus. That is, when students show up.

Now Ed Board is not asking Mustang Maniacs to be like the “Cameron Crazies” at Duke University, perhaps the craziest fans in college basketball. But at the very least come to the game. Maybe even throw on a red shirt. Heck, throw up your “pony ears” and shake a pompon.

Ed Board has heard all the excuses: “I’m busy tonight,” “I have a new member/group meeting,” the pompous “It’s SMU athletics, how fun can that be?” or perhaps the ever-popular (and very lame) “I’ve got a ton of homework/I have a test tomorrow.” Last time we checked, a lot of people probably have some from of homework due tomorrow, and maybe even (gasp!) at test. While Ed Board fully supports academic endeavors, we would like to remind you that yes you are in college. College students go to basketball games. Since when did we all turn into a bunch of sniveling, day-planner-toting Dilberts?

If there was ever a student body that knew how to have fun, it is at SMU. Ed Board has seen you at countless parties and social events, and we know you can be rowdy, loud and unified for a cause. Just look at how strong many of the Greek organizations and multicultural groups can be with philanthropies and socials. Well, Ed Board also realizes that these groups also advocate interaction and support of each other.

SMU basketball games are a blast, and the teams are very competitive, while the games are social events that have the capacity to unite the entire school beneath one common voice. The band is loud, and best of all you get to sit, or even stand a few feet from the action, right on the court.

Tonight, Ed Board encourages… implores you, the student body, to attend the men’s basketball game against Louisiana Tech. The game tips off at 7 p.m. in Moody Coliseum. So be a leader, get a group of your friends together and head to the game and cheer your Mustangs on to victory.