SMU students win it all in season finale of hit show ‘Treasure Hunters

When the dust settled on the floor of an underground chamber, after secret doors opened to reveal a mysterious room, a gold shimmering light fell on Francis Goldshmid and his fellow SMU students, Sam Khurana and Charles Taylor.

All three had always been credited with great intelligence, but at that moment, they possessed something much more. Three million dollars, to be exact.

As members of “Team Genius” on NBC’s hit DaVinci Code-esque TV show, “Treasure Hunters,” the three students seemed to be unlikely underdogs from day one.

While the group was constantly heralded for their high SAT scores and good grades, the geniuses consistently struggled with physical limitations and were in second-to-last place a majority of the time.

In fact, at the beginning of last night’s finale, the team was two and a half hours behind the first place team.

Using the innovative suspense technique, “Oh no! What will happen next!? and allowing each commercial break to be a cliff hanger for the show, “Treasure Hunters” kept viewers on the edge of their seats, biting their fingernails and listing off suspense cliches for the first half of the finale.

Shortly after the halfway mark, however, it was revealed that, while not favored to win, Team Genius had in fact overcome it all–everything from tremendous obstacles, each other’s egos and competitors with intimidating backgrounds in the CIA and Air force–to win the “greatest prize in television history.”

While the students shared their favorite experiences from the show and fielded questions from the audience, they shared their plans for spending their millions.

All three plan to put their money towards school-oriented aspirations, such as medical school and graduate programs. In the end, it seems fitting for a team deemed to be “the Geniuses” to invest in something they can really count on: their own minds.