UP considers putting brakes on parking in residential neighboorhoods near campus

Graphic Courtesy of University Park
University Park City Council proposed parking permits to homeowners living near the SMU campus.

University Park City Council proposed parking permits to homeowners living near the SMU campus. (Graphic Courtesy of University Park)

SMU parking was the focus of Tuesday’s University Park City Council meeting.

UP residents stated their discords with the lack of street parking around their homes due to encroaching students and faculty members.

The council is currently discussing plans to approve an ordinance amending section 10.1213, which would create a residential parking district in areas surrounding SMU campus, requiring a special parking permit only available to homeowners and their guests.

“SMU employees start parking at 5:30 in the morning,” Spence Kendrick, a resident of University Park, said.

Many residents agreed that the excess of cars lining their streets were not only students of SMU, but also faculty members. If this ordinance were to pass, popular student parking spots on streets like McFarlin Boulevard, Asbury Street and Daniel Avenue would be affected.

Residents comment that many students park on side streets to avoid paying for parking permits.

SMU charges $130 for a student parking permit for half a year, according to the Park ‘N Pony website.

“I didn’t buy a parking pass because I knew I would be able to park in surrounding areas,” sophomore Caroline Boothe said.

One resident suggested SMU require students to park on campus. However, the University does not have enough parking spots for the number of permits issued.

“The parking garages always fill up very quickly,” Boothe said.

According to Mayor Richard Davis, a final decision will be made next month regarding the ordinance, which was created by the city’s police department in response to many long-standing complaints.

“This has been an ongoing issue for a number of years,” Police Chief Gary Adams said.

Many residences voiced their opposition stating that permits would cause more hassle than help.

Each household will only be provided two permits under the plan. Those with more than the allocated number of cars per family were concerned. Davis stated that options for additional permits or possible guest passes were under consideration.

Two passes will be free of charge to all homeowners on the affected streets. Those vehicles with permits will be allowed to park in certain areas from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, according to guidelines put forth on the council’s website. Any car not in possession of a permit in the designated hours will be ticketed.

“You’ve got to strike a balance between safety and being a good neighbor to SMU,” Kendrick said.

Parking concerns regarding SMU have been prevalent for years.

Davis also said University Park and SMU have been working together on the issue for some time.