Snowballs fly in August heat

A group of SMU students prepare for the 2011 ONE28 snowball fight on the main quad of Dallas Hall.
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus

A group of SMU students prepare for the 2011 ONE28 snowball fight on the main quad of Dallas Hall. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Students gathered on the main quad Tuesday night to engage in an annual school-wide snowball fight. 

Front of the historic Dallas Hall, students flocked to throw snowballs in hot summer weather.

SMU Christian ministry group ONE28 ordered 8,000 snowballs for the event. More than 400 people were in attendance – more than 19 snowballs per person.

“This event is a great way to show that ONE28 puts on great, fun events for the entire student body,” Bree Berger, a general member of ONE28 said.

“As an organization we aim to do exciting events that are good, clean fun. We hope to continue to host this event for the student body.”

When students arrived in the quad, ONE28 was handing out free t-shirts of variouis colors. Each color represented a different team in the snowball fight.

Before throwing delivered snowballs ordered from a local Dallas company, students enjoyed free food.

Food included burgers, hot dogs and chips.

“This is a really good event for the end of summer. It’s also really great way to meet other students,” sophomore Faith Miller, said.

There were eight teams spread across the entire quad with an MC announcing when to start throwing as well as rev up the crowd of attendees.

ONE28 also had a game of human foosball going on during the event. More than 50 students participated in the bonding event.

“This is a clever idea to have a snowball fight in the first week of school because it got a lot of freshmen out here,” freshman Hannah Williams said.

“ONE28 really got their name out there with this event.”
This was ONE28’s first event of the year.

ONE28 hosts other campus events throughout the year. One of its primary goals is to connect the student body.

The group will also be partnering with the SMU Athletic Department for the SMU v. Baylor game Labor Day weekend. Visit smuroadtrip.com to get your tickets.

The football game will offer SMU students the opportunity to support the Mustangs in Waco.

“I am definitely interested in coming to more campus wide events now. This was a great experience,” sophomore Mehdi Hami said.

A first year who chose not to be identified was excited about the SMU experience.

“This is much better than anything I could have imagined. I think something like this could only happen at SMU.”