Help start the Stampede

It’s been said time and time again, but there truly is something about this time of year at SMU.

New yet familiar things seem to be happening all over campus: the scent of luggage lingering fresh on the pavement, a few thousand more bodies wandering everywhere from Bishop to Binkley, a rash of spunky “welcome back!” articles.

Yes, it seems to be the beginning of the school year again. And with the beginning of the school year comes SMU’s annual Mustang Stampede to welcome back returning students and introduce all the new ones to our school with a weekend of free fun.

Mustang Stampede begins tonight at 6:30 p.m. with comedians Mark Curry (yes, Mr. Cooper from “Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper”) and Seth Meyers (“Saturday Night Live” cast member) performing stand up comedy in McFarlin Auditorium.

The festivities continue immediately following the show as the main quad is transformed into a carnival. The quad will also host ‘Taste Dallas,’ where many of the area’s staple restaurants will be serving free food.

Tomorrow’s activities begin at 6 p.m. with a free dinner in front of Ford Stadium to kick off to the new football season with SMU athletics.

Following the dinner students are invited to the Red v. Blue Scrimmage at 7 p.m. inside Ford Stadium for a first glance at the SMU football team in action. Finally, from 6:30-9:30 p.m., the International Welcome Event will take place in The Varsity, where students can come celebrate SMU’s diversity and meet international students.

So, after being enthusiastically bombarded by practically everyone on campus to attend these events, its understandable for students to feel a little unimpressed or skeptical about all of the hoopla.

But it’s important to remember that these events are a great way to stay connected with SMU and the people that make it what it is.

While it may not be a matter of life and death to be at every single free meal (but it really should be, c’mon its free food!) or campus bonding activity (c’mon free hugs!), it would be a little shortsighted to simply write off the entire experience.

Remember, you’re paying for school here. This is your school’s, at least vaguely sincere attempt to reach out to you, so please, do yourself a favor and reach back.