Program Council, ABS show Spike Lee’s ‘Do the Right Thing’ for Black History Month

Program Council and the Association of Black Students (ABS) hosted a showing of “Do The Right Thing” in honor of Black History Month Tuesday.

The movie, which was written and directed by Spike Lee, depicts an explosion of violence in Brooklyn because of racially charged hate.

Fredrick Leach, the ABS representative who helped to put on the event, said that he decided to show this movie because it “gives a very dramatic and realistic look at racial tension and conflict in New York City,” which he felt would provide “good insight” for SMU students.

Tori Spickler, the PC Films Chair, said that the movie should still resonate with SMU students, even though it was produced in 1989.

“It still poses questions that are still relevant,” she said.

Leach approached Spickler about holding the showing two weeks ago, and wanted to show it during February – Black History Month.

PC movie showings are typically done on Thursday nights, but all Thursday nights this month were booked, so it was held on a Tuesday.

Spickler said she didn’t expect as large of a crowd because of the day of the week, but was satisfied with the size of the small crowd.

Katie Perkins, SMU’s student body secretary was a member of the crowd and said that the movie was “an accurate depiction of racial tension in America.”

“People hate each other,” she said. “It’s not just about one group hating another but everyone hating everybody.”