Meadows opens George Bernard Shaw’s ‘You Never Can Tell’

The first mainstage show of the spring semester in the Meadows School of the Arts, George Bernard Shaw’s play “You Never Can Tell,” opens Wednesday in the Greer Garson Theatre.

Shaw was a playwright and literary critic at the turn of the century, famous for “Pygmalion” (later adapted into “My Fair Lady”). He’s also the only person to ever win both an Oscar and a Nobel Prize for literature.

The crazy plot benefits from a variety of unique characters, including Valentine, a young dentist; Walter, the omniscient waiter; the strong character of the mother, and a mysterious stranger. The interesting unfolding of events reminds the characters and the audience that the mantra is true – “you never can tell.”

After its positive reception, Shaw eventually deemed this play an “absolutely actor proof” comedy — not that this production needs that reassurance.

Meadows show features both graduate and undergraduate students, including Jamie Rezanour (Uncle Vanya), Katherine Bourne (Our Town), David Price (Spelling Bee), Donny Repsher (Our Town) among others. The play is directed by Patrick Kelly, who was a member of Meadows’ first graduating theater class.

So if you’re looking for something to do this weekend, or you’ve been holding out on using your Meadows pass for a good show – make a trip to the Greer Garson this weekend for this crowd-pleaser.

“You Never Can Tell” has performances Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets cost $7 for students and $13 for general admission.