“Cut a rug” for a worthy cause

You may have two left feet. You might not know all the moves. But, on Friday night put your dancing abilities aside and ‘cut a rug’ for a cause. One of this year’s biggest campus-wide events, Mustang Marathon, kicks off this Friday March 25 at 6 p.m. in the Dedman Center. This event is a 24-hour dance marathon where students dance to raise money for pediatric aids. Fifty percent of all the proceeds from Mustang Marathon will benefit one Dallas’ largest non-profit organizations, Bryan’s House. “I’m looking forward to helping a great cause and especially a foundation like Bryan’s House by dancing in Mustang Marathon,” said Marshall Kinne, an SMU sophomore and Mustang Marathon dancer.

Bryan’s House is a place where children affected by HIV/AIDS find compassion and hope. “It’s a home away from home where kids can be free of the burdens of HIV/AIDS and focus on the important things in life, like learning to read a book, paint a masterpiece, ride a bicycle and climb a tree.” “Mustang Marathon has been partnering with Bryan’s House for the past three years and has raised approximately $12,000 for the organization last year,” said Almo Rana, one of this year’s co-directors.

Bryan’s House offers many services to families and children affected with HIV/AIDS. Its primary service is medically managed daytime care for children, but Bryan’s House also provides, adolescent and community-based programming, and family-centered support services. “It is a place where families can go without worrying about the paperwork” and the logistics of finding both daycare and medical assistance for their children, said Helen Limbani Zimba, a client advocate of Bryan’s House. Staff, volunteers, and supporters give their time and energy to ensuring children’s health and most importantly, their childhood.

Bryan’s House, a licensed childcare facility, was founded in 1987 by Stephanie Held and Nurse Lydia Allen who realized the critical need for care of children affected by HIV/AIDS. In 1988, it was named Bryan’s House after Allen’s son, Bryan, who died of AIDS. Today, it provides programs and services, all free of charge, to over 700 children and families annually.

Linda Robertson, the Development Director of Bryan’s House, works closely with many SMU students and especially with the Mustang Marathon organization to ensure that this year is a great success. “SMU students are around a lot,” said Robertson. “The kids benefit greatly from the one-on-one relationships established with SMU students at Mustang Marathon and on a daily basis at Bryan’s House.”

Children from Bryan’s House are scheduled to visit the Marathon to participate in some activities with SMU dancers on Saturday morning. Organizers expect that participation with the Bryan’s House children will be a moral booster for many dancers. Each child will be assigned a Mustang Marathon team for the day. Children can look forward to dancing with students, jumping in the Bounce House, and playing games. “When the kids get to come and hang out or meet new people [at Mustang Marathon] you can see the joy in their faces,” said Rana.

“We have high standards,” said Robertson. Of the 1,500 licensed childcare centers in the region, only 8 percent are ranked with a Four Star Status, and Bryan’s House falls within this elite group. Partnering with Educational First Steps, Bryan’s House hopes to become accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children by March of 2005.

Each day, HIV infects 2,000 children worldwide. And, half of all new HIV infections in the U.S. are among people under the age of 25. This organization depends heavily on the community for more than 55 percent of its funding. A large contributor to the financial funding of Bryan’s House, Mustang Marathon, continues to support this non-profit organization this year. The marathon committee expects to raise more money to donate to pediatric aids this year than in years past. Mustang Marathon gives kids affected by HIV/AIDS a chance at childhood. Bryan’s House cares for these children to become members, as well as contributors, to the community.

So, even if you lack dancing abilities, Mustang Marathon is the place to be this weekend. Marathon directors encourage students to support a friend and make a difference in the life of a child. If you would like to volunteer or donate to Bryan’s House you can do so though SMU’s Mustang Marathon or by contacting Bryan’s House at (214) 559-3946.