Volleyball ready for invitational

The SMU Radisson Hotel Invitational kicks off Friday in Moody Coliseum. The tournament features SMU, Prairie View A&M, Auburn University, and Louisiana-Monroe, and will be the beginning of the 2006 season for all four teams.

The Mustangs open the tournament at 7 p.m. against the Prairie View A&M Panthers. SMU will take on both Auburn and Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday. Games are at 1:30 p.m. and 7 p.m., respectively.

With numerous starters returning and a stellar line-up of new freshman, SMU is set to dominate the season opening tournament. Outside hitters, juniors Caitlin Rainbird and Rachel Giubilato, return to team up with middle blocker Natalie Peters to attempt another record-breaking season.

The three starters posted 65 percent of team kills during 2005, putting them in the top eight of all-time career kills. Senior Jennette Evanco returns to the libero position where she’ll contribute to the team’s dig percentages. Last season, Evanco led the Mustangs with 523 digs, and begins this year as the SMU career leader. She also teamed up with Rainbird and Giubilato to post 63 percent of the team’s digs last year.

Sophomore Stefanie Kons and junior Madison Hill, who saw equal time as setters last year, round out SMU’s returning players. Kons saw action in 59 games last year, averaging 9.79 sets per game. The 5-foot-10-inch-tall Hill, a transfer from Mississippi State, averaged 10.61 sets per game in 2005 and played in 62 games throughout the season.

SMU picked up four freshmen this year, including Adrienne Zielasko, a 6-foot-tall middle blocker from Mission Viejo, Calif. A varsity starter on her high school’s volleyball team for three years, Zielasko was named MVP and team captain in 2005. She is expected to be a significant contributor to the Mustangs in her inaugural season.

SMU’s tournament opponents don’t pose much of a threat on paper. The Mustangs’ biggest challenge should be Prairie View, which has nine returning players, five of them starters. The Panthers ended their season with a record of 15-19 and a 6-3 record in the SWAC West, tying them for second in the conference. Louisiana-Monroe and Auburn University finished the 2005 season with even less impressive numbers.

The Warhawks of Louisiana went 8-10 in the Sun Belt conference last year and have only one starter returning to the 2006 team. Senior Darci Mika is the team’s only starting veteran. Mika plays setter for Louisiana-Monroe and is 84 assists away from becoming the university’s career leader. SMU’s other opponent, Auburn University, posted a dismal 2-14 record in their conference last season, finishing 8-16 overall for the year. The Tigers are led by junior Rachel Shanks, who had 248 kills, 264 digs and 39 blocks last season.

The Lady Mustangs appear to be well-equipped to take on its challengers this weekend. The SMU Radisson Hotel Invitational has the potential to be a great preview of the Mustangs’ 2006 season.