Men’s soccer continues win streak at invitational

The seventh ranked SMU men’s soccer team shutout both Cal and Cincinnati to win the Radisson Hotel Invitational this weekend. Junior Adrian Chevvanes was named as the tournaments MVP while Matt Wideman, Jay Needham, Ben Shuleva and Palo da Silva were named to the All-Tournament team.

SMU opened the tournament, held at the University of Texas-Dallas, Friday night against Cincinnati. The Mustangs were up 2-0 at half time after goals by Dario Saintus and Paulo da Silva. SMU spent most of the second half in Cincinnati territory, scoring four more goals in the next 40 minutes.

Sophomores Scott Geppert and Richard Olivia each posted a goal, while Manuel Marial notched a goal and an assist against the Bearkats. In the 57th minute alone, SMU took three shots on Cincinnati’s goal.

Tournament MVP Chevvanes scored in the second half the Cincinnati game after assisting on da Silva’s goal in the first half. He also scored the only goal in Saturday’s game against the Bears from Berkeley.

Cal posed more of a challenge to SMU than Cincinnati did. Both teams were scoreless in the first half; the Mustangs pulled off a goal 12 seconds into the second.

The Bears were not afraid to get physical as the game wore on. Red cards were given to SMU’s Mynor Gonzalez and Cal’s Matt Holtrust in the 69th minute for elbows to the face. The benches of both teams were also given yellow cards. Despite their physicality, the Bears were unable to even the score, allowing the Mustangs to increase their season record to 4-0.

The Mustangs return to Wescott Field on Friday to continue their season during the SMU Mi Cocina classic. The tournament features Tulsa, Brown and nationally-ranked Indiana. The Classic begins Friday with Tulsa and Brown at 5 p.m. and continues with SMU and Indiana at 7:30 p.m.