If Justin Timberlake is selling sex, who’s buying it?

Welcome to the age of irony, where a Viacom sponsored girl-group outsells everybody, real artists are unnoticed by the marketplace and Mickey Mouse Club alums vow to bring sexy back.

I’ll admit that when I first heard Justin Timberlake’s single, “SexyBack,” I was hesitant. I thought “Justified” was great, mainly due to the Neptunes’-produced songs previously rejected by Michael Jackson. However, label issues took Justified’s main collaborator, Pharrell Williams, out of the picture. So the question was, could J Tizzle bring it without the faux-Jackson sound? The answer is an emphatic, yes.

With a swagger that is decidedly more Prince than Michael Jackson, Timberlake definitely caters to a more mature audience. From the album’s opening title track, “FutureSex/LoveSound,” you know this former boy bander’s grown up and he’s apparently discovered sex. The track sounds of INXS’ “I Need You Tonight” with an electrofunk kick and it rocks.

Another track, “Sexy Ladies,” sounds like a cross between Rick James and Prince with a synth lick that would make the purple one himself proud.

When he sings, “I know it sounds cocky, but is it really cocky if you know that it’s true,” Timberlake confidently pulls off his new sexy image, without looking foolish.

T.I. shows up on the bouncy proposal song, “My Love.” This song has the signature Timbaland sound and T.I.’s verse works well. I can see urban radio eating this one up. There is also an awkward collaboration with, Academy Award winners, Three Six Mafia. Three Six sounds good on the track, but Justin sounds a little out of place. Although, it has grown on me with repeated listening.

The album isn’t all about sex though. The karma-inspired tune, “What Goes Around,” finds him exploring a familiar subject, infidelity.

Although, the subject sounds awfully close to “Cry Me a River,” he has reportedly said it is not about Brittany. Similarities aside, the eastern-influenced song is likable in its own way.

The glue that holds everything together is Timbaland’s stellar production. On the track, “LoveStoned,” he manages to take Justin from quasi-disco to Coldplay without missing a step. Timbaland’s direction allows Timberlake to play with different styles, without losing the album’s focus.

Black Eyed Peas’ producer/rapper, Will.I.Am, pops up on the album, producing and dropping a verse on the song “Damn Girl,” a funky little ditty that finds Justin doing his best Pharrell impression.

Super producer, Rick Rubin (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Johnny Cash, Jay-Z) also contributes the beautiful “(Another Song) All Over Again.”

Overall, this is great pop music. I don’t know if it’ll catch on, but this is a great way to kick off the movement to bring “sexy” back. This album is the final nail in the coffin of Justin’s boy band past.