Groups gearing up for the 2006 elections

This Labor Day, there will be the usual cookouts and family road-trips. And at Southern Methodist University, there’ll be- political planning?

Gubernatorial and interim elections are coming up on Nov. 7 this year, and several campus organizations are already busy preparing.

The Political Science Symposium is a non-partisan group that aims to raise awareness about political issues and the political process. President Cynthia Halatyn said one of her biggest goals in terms of programming is to set up a voter registration drive.

“I’m excited to see SMU students sign up and participate,” she said, because the political process is “something we take for granted.”

The Symposium is also planning an election-watching party for students.

“It’s something the Political Science Symposium has done every presidential election year and we try to do them off-election years,” said Halatyn. “We basically just watch democracy happen.”

According to Halatyn, though group membership and event attendance varies, “It’s really common for political science majors to come to our events just because it’s really geared toward what they study.”

The junior political science major said though the executive board plans most of the events, the group welcomes ideas from all students including first-years. As an example, she cited the group’s election process.

“Most organizations have elections in May, but we like to have them in August so incoming freshmen can hold a leadership position and have a say-so in what happens,” she said.

If you’re looking for a group affiliated with a political party, the SMU Democrats and College Republicans offer networking possibilities, as well as programming.

Matt Haley, a senior English major and president of SMU Democrats, says this year the group is focusing on recruitment.

“For other organizations recruiting is a plan, not a priority,” he said, “For us, it’s a priority.”

Haley said the group is going to have several informational meetings at the beginning of the year to accommodate members.

“That way we can incorporate everyone,” he said. Haley explained, people with busy schedules can pick one meeting of the three to attend instead of missing a single opportunity.

Haley said that the Democrats’ main goal is to come together as a social unit. Meshing well is key because “when November comes around, we’re going to be working together a lot,” he said.

This semester, members will have the opportunity to work with local candidates. Like Halatyn, Haley encourages members to contribute.

“I really encourage people to think of something and bring their own ideas,” he said, and from there, the Democrats help with the logistics.

The College Republicans, on the other hand, put an emphasis on networking. President Lisa Foster said that one of the biggest perks of joining is the contacts that can be made at the college, state and national levels.

“Our biggest strength is that it’s such a great resource,” she said. “It’s an opportunity for connections.”

The group, whose goal is to promote Republican values, has put out fliers and helped candidates in past elections, said Vice President Kristen Damman.

And according to Foster, the hard work has dividends.

“Even at our age you can be starting the process [of networking] and getting jobs,” she said.

The College Republicans have an executive board of 10-12 people who plan events like hosting speaker s for the general membership.

“We work hard to bring people in you might not otherwise meet,” said Foster.

And despite ideological differences, the three groups have one goal in common.

“Hopefully, we can get some more people involved in politics,” said Foster.